Lori Loughlin's college admissions scam prison offers yoga and ukulele lessons

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/19/lori-loughlins-college-admissions-scam-prison-offers-yoga-and-ukulele-lessons.html

6 Likes

well she’s still in jail. Unless they let her home for the weekends, then it’s a poorly paid job

12 Likes

Ukulele lessons? Well, it is maximum securitwee

16 Likes

I mean, that seems like what every prison should be like. The problem is that only rich people get that treatment.

54 Likes

Personally, I’m happy that they no longer have stocks and thumbscrews in prison. The length of her sentence might not seem like enough for some, but I don’t think it is that light for a relatively victimless crime. And if the duration and prison was due just to her wealth, then it wouldn’t explain why her equally-wealthy husband got more than twice the sentence in a worse prison.

It is time to bring the rest of our prisons, the ones where we routinely sent vast cohorts of young poor people – disproportionately people of color – up to the standards of Victorville.

28 Likes

What gets to me isn’t the summer-camp-like activities offered by the prison, but the summer-camp-like length of the sentence (and also the size of the fine). That’s life in late-stage capitalist American academia, where effectively stealing a place at a major university from a more deserving (and likely less wealthy) student-athlete through bribery and fraud is “no big deal”.

28 Likes

The take away is that more prisons should be offering this? or?

12 Likes
51 Likes

Eat the rich.

2 Likes

Little confused by this post. Shouldn’t we expect that all prisons should have yoga , meditative paper folding and music lessons ? These are the things that help people with rehabilitation and restoration

23 Likes

I have no problem with prisons providing yoga and music lessons. Zero.

33 Likes

In light of all the horrible things going on in the last few years I couldn’t care less about Aunt Becky’s “crime”.

I agree that prison/criminal justice reform is far more important than punishing rich people for bribing their kid’s way into college.

5 Likes

I support these prison activities with only one demand. All prisoners must sign an agreement that they will never use those skills to become social media influencers. I continue to hope that the age of criminals becoming even more dreaded and scary in prison will come to an end…

7 Likes

…but marinate them well, and keep antacid handy.

1 Like

Even if it is Russian combat yoga and death metal music lessons?

2 Likes

If the death metal is on the uke, I fully support it.

15 Likes

These “luxury” criminals who break the laws just because they figure they will get away with it don’t need rehabilitation, they need to learn that even for them there are consequences. In those cases I think short, harsh punishment is probably more effective, and certainly cheaper.

It’s different for people without education or chance to get a decent job. There you can use a longer sentence under better conditions where they get a chance to learn basic skills, kick possible drug habits etc to make sure that when they get out they can find something better than returning to crime.

4 Likes

Could also apply for the job of Trump’s press secretary, as that seems to become available on a regular basis - might not be after November, though, (hopefully).

2 Likes

That part of it is as dystopian to me than the rest but YMMV

6 Likes

I don’t like the dominance of sports in American academia, either. But it’s a fact of life in the U.S. and if it has to exist it should be (as touted – disingenuously* – by its defenders) a path of admittance for the traditionally disadvantaged rather than a “side door” for dimwitted children of privilege whose parents can’t or won’t buy an entire building.

[* while a white kid from a middle-class family who has mediocre grades might have a shot at getting into USC by rowing crew, there’s not much real opportunity for a poor minority kid to do the same]

8 Likes