Tales of the Gold Monkey, another lost tv treasure

[Read the post]

3 Likes

Another show I loved… Great cast, good stories, sad that it was only one season. I happily stumbled on it at the library and promptly binge watched the hell out of it.
If you have not seen it check out Only Angels Have Wings which is the inspiration for the show and a fun movie to see anyway.

7 Likes

It didn’t last long, but spiritually lived on as Disney’s Tale Spin on weekday afternoons in the 90s.

13 Likes

I love that film! I also really enjoy the Alan Quartermaine books.

3 Likes

A great show.

Somewhere along the line, I came to possess two DVDs with the entire series ripped from what appeared to be a VHS version of it. The quality was fine for a small device and I’d had it on my phone until some storage crisis befell me and i deleted it to save space.

I should find those DVDs again now that the crisis has passed.

I really liked that plane.

3 Likes

If I ever have the money for an aeroplane, it’s going to be a Grumman Goose. I loved that show and that plane. I’m not sure the Dipsea will quite work as a stand in for the Monkey Bar, but I’d totally fly you to go fight the Nazi menace in Suisun Bay.

2 Likes

I’d keep it in Sausalito, over by the The Planet, and Smittys will need to hire a “Bon Chance” Louis.

4 Likes

One of the great animated shows from the 80s-90s from Disney

1 Like

I don’t think I’d buy anything else that Stephen Collins has done, although my DVD of Star Trek: The Motion Picture will stay because it’s grandfathered in.

1 Like

O. M. G. I haven’t thought about this show in…probably over thirty years! I vaguely remember watching it as a kid. Now the whole thing’s available on DVD?! Holy. Shit.

5 Likes

I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall that this show ran back to back with this silliness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HODkJABWo08

In any event, as a 9 year old, I loved them both.

Edit: I was 9 for the first one and 12 for the second, so no, they probably didn’t run back to back. Still, when I think of one, I tend to think of the other.

1 Like

Indeed, the Wikipedia article for Talespin is the only other time I can recall hearing about this show.

Talespin is one of those great shows that seems so utterly contrary to the prevailing norms that it is a miracle it was ever greenlit.

4 Likes

strange, i could have sworn this show was trying to ride the coattails of indiana jones, but it appears to predate temple of doom by a couple of years. i do remember watching it as a kid and enjoying it. i should probably just leave it alone, lest i find out that it actually sucks :smile:

1 Like

I was about 12 and the perfect age to enjoy that show. My friends Dad worked at a hobby store, and was into RC planes. He made Cutter’s Goose. I can’t remember what he said it cost, because at that age, it seemed astronomical.

Didn’t the dogs eye patch keep moving around? Don’t forget, one of the great things that made the show was the presence of Roddy McDowall.

It played alongside Bring Em Back Alive.

2 Likes

Thirty years? Good gosh. How did that happen?

1 Like

Tales of the Gold Monkey was my introduction to pulp fiction and, eventually, Weird Horror. It goes like this: Uncle Stash (short “a”, shortened from something Polish) hears that 7 year old me likes Tales, so he hands me his copy of Louis L’Amour’s Night over the Solomons (think of Michener’s South Pacific short stories written by a hack cowboy writer), many of which read like Tales of the Gold Monkey episodes. This leads me to L’Amour’s cowboy books but also to seek out other 30s/40s era pulp adventure stories. (Uncle Stash also has a stash of pulp reprints of that vintage and, later, I found his stash of girlie mags, but that’s a different story of childhood discovery.)

That leads me to Robert E. Howard’s Sailor Steve Costigan’s tales (think Popeye written by a racist–ok, harsh, he was a man of his time), which led me to Conan, which led me to Lovecraft.

3 Likes

My boy scout troop leader was a ghost writer for Louis Lamour, or so he claimed. Our campfire stories were a bit interesting.

3 Likes

That’s kind of awesome. Either it was true, which is great. Or it wasn’t, which makes for an astounding thing to lie about. I believe your troop leader.

There was a bit of a L’Amour revival in the 80s, with a whole series of reprints and one modern novel (about a Native American who escapes a Soviet gulag by pole vaulting the fence and using his l33t 1nd1an skillz to outfox spetsnaz pursuers in Siberia), but otherwise he was generally a niche market kind of writer. L’Amour was “prolific,” and I bet he had a fleet of ghost writers like the guys who cranked out tons of Mack Bolan: The Executioner or Remo Williams: The Destroyer novels.

1 Like

I tend to believe most of what Keith Monroe told me. It is far more fun to believe the supernatural and astounding stories were true.

1 Like