Taliban 25 miles from Kabul

Kurdish women have certainly shown the world they can be highly effective fighters.

19 Likes

One of the CNN commentators said it best (paraphrasing), “you can teach someone how to fight but you can’t teach the will to fight”.

It’s seems to me that the Afghan security forces when their backs were against the wall decided, perhaps wisely, “I ain’t dying for this shit.” They they would rather take their chances surrendering to the Taliban rather than dying for a corrupt government.

2 Likes

As noted above, it might also be that without the NATO Air Support, the local troops aren’t at all able to resist. Asymmetric warfare, indeed.

Seems there is also the problem of not reporting Bad News. Which is bad news in itself.

Always. Also for everyone who does report bad news, or who is actually doing analyses which indicate that a statement like Huston, we have a problem is actually a understatement.

8 Likes

“The war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan’s advantage.”
-Hirohito at the end of WW2

6 Likes
3 Likes

I’m not sure what you’re saying. When I looked earlier, the numbers I could find estimated that 1.6% of Afgahn’s military was female. In my earlier post, I was wondering if more women were armed and trained if perhaps there would have been a stronger resistance to the Taliban takeover. But also, like I said, I know nothing of warfare (and realize how lucky I am to be able to say that).

4 Likes

Nothing except that here is an example of a woman who took up arms against the Taliban.

4 Likes

Gotcha. I couldn’t tell if you were saying, “here’s at least one totally brave, badass woman who gave it a go,” or, “look, there were women with training and tools and it didn’t make a difference.” No one knows, on the internet.
My heart is breaking over and over for everyone stuck in this mess, but especially for the women and girls…

7 Likes

China? I mean, they have a border…

1 Like
5 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

I’ve seen the statement of the current US president.
I’ve seen the statement of the current German chancellor.

I am not impressed. In some parts, I am aghast. When Biden repeatedly said that nation-building was never going to work, and that it never was a goal for the US he abandoned the façade which was kept for 20 years.

Also, blaming the Afghans for what is happening right now could even be correct - but coming from the US president, it feels petty and helpless. This is worse than expected.

4 Likes

meanwhile…

2 Likes

Well, this does not cover my point that blaming the Afghans for their own fate isn’t exactly the same message as ‘America is back’, does it?

I don’t doubt that China and Russia try to profit from the situation. I doubt that the messages sent by the last and the current president are any good in even trying to convey that the US would be interested in helping anyone to against Chinese, Russian or any other external influence. This is America First, not America is back.

Taiwan is already nervous. As are others.

2 Likes

No. There is no explaining that one. Kind of shitty on Joe’s part.

2 Likes

The conspiracy nuts are saying it was allows because they found lithium in Nevada.

2 Likes

It would be a shame if they didn’t mine the Salton Sea first.

2 Likes

Hazmat suits for all the workers? In that heat? :thinking:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.