Taliban enters Kabul, Afghan president flees, surrender negotiations underway

What deluded planet do these people live on? That is some weird definition of success which I would expect crazed repugnicons to rely on, not a Secretary of State serving under a Dem President - but then Biden utterly failed to give this the sensitive consideration it demanded, merely to garner a few votes.

18 Likes

@lava - apparently some of them are off to Iran with new temporary careers as arms dealers.

11 Likes

daea8be8-d0fe-4a42-84fd-db13d05147af_text

11 Likes

If they brought that stuff home then they wouldn’t have to buy more from their buddies in the arms industry.

7 Likes

The American habit of pretending our practice of invading whoever we want is always successful is a truly bipartisan practice.

29 Likes

If there were justice in the world the various leaders who chose to invade - W, Cheney, Blair, Chretien etc. would have to spend the rest of their days walking from the family of one dead soldier to the next to apologise in person for their colossal fuckup and for spending their children’s lives and futures for no meaningful purpose.

26 Likes

It is amazing that some people keep thinking this is a good idea when we have not had a successful war since WWII - they are all identical long, drawn out failures. Military intervention on a large scale simply does not work in the modern geopolitical landscape and it would be nice if we could just accept that. Not holding my breath though. Somebody always thinks that this time we can jump in, sweep out the old, and create a democratic-in-name-but-still-corporately-controlled-client-state that will spend eternity thanking us

33 Likes
6 Likes

On both sides

14 Likes

Almost like Trump’s “peace” deal that led to the release of 5000 jailed Taliban members was a bad idea.

Not as bad an idea as us going there to begin with, but … as the Right falls all over themselves trying to be the loudest to blame Biden for this, they should look inward.

26 Likes

My god, I expected it to be a shitshow but not that it would take less than a week and that there would be helicopter evacuations from the embassy, making the Vietnam comparison almost comically literal.

Comically is the wrong word. Emphatically? Poignantly? Ridiculously? Yeah, that’s the one.

27 Likes

Absurdly? Painfully? Predictably?

18 Likes

They’re fleeing for their lives. Even if they do sell the equipment I for one won’t blame them.

16 Likes

They should start with local civilians. At least the soldiers knowingly signed up for it.

12 Likes

Civilians too. And before the soldiers.

15 Likes

Shock and Awe = Terrorism with a bigger budget

18 Likes

Total killed: 212,191+

212,191+

And the war criminals?

Etc…

15 Likes

Shut up Antony…

18 Likes

The Breadwinner is a gorgeous, heartbreaking tale, thanks for sharing.

It was successful, though. The United States didn’t really even make any pretense about why we went after the Taliban as opposed to SF ops to get Bin Laden, it was all bloodlust. Now America that is tired of it and has forgotten (never forget!!!), it’s time to move on.

/s

Blinken you’ll miss the logic!

11 Likes

Would they make it past one visit?

2 Likes