Tardigrade proteins can protect human cells

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/07/tardigrade-proteins-can-protect-human-cells.html

5 Likes

Weird to call tardigrades omnivores. Sure, there are tardigrades that eat plants and that eat other animals, but usually species are one or the other. (Strictly they aren’t at all indestructable either, and get eaten a lot. They’re just really resilient to different things from us.)

11 Likes

GIF by Canek

9 Likes

9 Likes

New superhero origin story dropping in 3 … 2 … 1 …

3 Likes

The Incredible Dehydration Man seems likely to be consigned to obscurity given that his abilities all center around being able to survive long periods of metabolic stasis under brutal conditions; but, while impressive, metabolic stasis is not a thrilling state.

10 Likes

Dehydration Man? It can’t be! You’re supposed to be dead!”
“Yeah, people make that mistake a lot.”
“But…um…do you actually have any way to stop me now that you’re here?”
“I broke the water fountain in your lab. Now I just have to wait you out.”

13 Likes

brb, gotta go slather myself in tardigrade cells

3 Likes

Previously on Dehydration Man:

DM escapes from Doctor Fridge’s lair into the Antarctic winter night. Pursuit ends when they find his frozen body.

Six months later…

7 Likes

Though as a villain, he may be working towards rendering the planet uninhabitable to all non-tardigrades.

3 Likes

I think thats just man, isn’t it?

4 Likes

I like the idea that the protagonist (in their ordinary-person guise) is a student who is late in turning in term papers, hence gets the nickname “tardy grades.”

“If only they knew…”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.