Tea making tips movie from (1941)

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/05/tea-making-tips-movie-from-19.html

I prefer the Nutrimatic

14 Likes

The secret to making good tea is to drop the tea in the garbage and then make some coffee.

17 Likes

10 Likes

Orwell was pretty particular on his tea-making process:

http://www.booksatoz.com/witsend/tea/orwell.htm

9 Likes

He still is.

1 Like

Proper tea is important.

13 Likes

“To keep the tea from being contaminated” he says, as he drops his hand down once more on the tea and grabs up a handful before letting it drop back down again between his fingers.

5 Likes

great to see some non-coffee-related-hot-beverage content on here, at last.

but root a ute – i’m not taking tea advice from a bunch of poms. their national anthem doesn’t even mention tea making. not once. it’s all about some hapless upper-class twit that has rooted things up so badly only God can save them.

join with me as we sing the (real) australian anthem…“He sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled, you’ll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me.”

4 Likes

He’s quite right, you know. The Herbert Lom-style eye flicker at the very thought of a bad cup of tea is the sign of a True Englishman.

5 Likes

1 Like

Just think, Gustav Fring could have fronted the starting capital for the new Coffee Brothers franchise, but noooo.

2 Likes

First Coffee Brothers Yelp review:

OMF THIS COFFEE IS SO GOOD I COME HERE EVERY DAY SO ADDICTIVE

1 Like

“Gale, we need to brew.”

2 Likes

He has put the cream in too early! There’s only one man who would put the cream in early. It’s Clouseau! Kill him! Kill him!

6 Likes

Remember: TEA REVIVES THE WORLD.

1 Like

My stepgrandmother, from Chester or Deva Victrix if you will, was adamant about preparation of tea, so much I never made it for her. All I remember is that the milk, if applied at all, had to go first. One never adds milk to tea.

4 Likes

You seem to have the words “tea” and “coffee” transposed there. Easy mistake to make if you haven’t had your morning tea yet.

10 Likes

Douglas Adams was a milk-firster too, in contrast to Orwell. I’ve never understood the rationale; supposedly it’s to avoid scalding the milk, but isn’t the milk much more likely to be scalded by having freshly-boiled tea poured on top of it than if you add the milk after the tea has cooled closer to drinking temperature?

The Royal Society of Chemistry say:

If milk is poured into hot tea, individual drops separate from the bulk of the milk and come into contact with the high temperatures of the tea for enough time for significant denaturation to occur. This is much less likely to happen if hot water is added to the milk

This is the same rationale as adding caustic soda to water instead of the other way round.

Last time I posted this on a tea thread, it was suggested that no normal human being could actually taste the difference between MIL and MIF, and/or that it’s a class thing.

5 Likes