Tech Support Gore

It’s the one with LIVING roaches that freak you out.

3 Likes

Why do you have a mac book pro that is about a year old and not being used?

Sell that shit while its still worth something.

2 Likes

Ugh… that’s got to be terrible… but dead mice? Ick.

3 Likes

I see the same thing writ large when I do HVAC ductwork. 2’ x 4’ Turning vanes completely clogged with 40 years of dust/munge/fur and they wonder why “the heat isn’t getting up there”. I replaced filters on an old building’s roof unit once and it had $1 bills glued to it, it had sucked them up from strip shows two floors down. It’s great once it’s clean though, I bet even these computer repair folks have to admit there’s nothing as satisfying as peeling off that dust blanket.

3 Likes

Then you’re digging through the filth pile looking for it… been there before, doing a bag-ectomy for mini-fig heads.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen a battery swell to that extreme but swollen lithium ion batteries aren’t super uncommon in general.

2 Likes

For the carnivores, in H.S. a friend worked in (shall remain anonymous) meat processing plant & they would get the tip that FDA Inspector was coming (probably once a year) so he would have to remove all the bandsaw covers/tool guards/belt guards to clean and he said the entire space behind the covers where there was not a moving part would be packed full of meat and meat by-product that got carried in there on the blades and belts.

Bon Appetite!

5 Likes

Take some consolation in knowing that mmmmmost viruses can’t last much longer than 24 hours outside the human body. If a contagion entered the computer case, its probably hot enough to kill it - a human fever does a pretty good job at a little over 100 degrees. And I’d guess they got a regularly hosed down with Cavicide.

1 Like

I once had a co-worker ask me to look at her PC because it was overheating, shutting off and she could smell something burning. I should have had a clue. She was the stereotypical lonely cat-hoarding lady. I’m not talking about someone who just has a lot of cats, I’m talking about someone who has dozens of cats, all feral, few of which she can even touch…

She spent the majority of her 30 year 401K getting veterinary work for tens of thousands of dollar in surgeries for said cats, even though they were unhandleable and elderly. Her house has liens from the city on it because of all the zoning violations and roaming cats. That sort of cat lady.

It was about a two year or three year old Dell. Every single fan was packed completely full of cat hair and cat dander and frozen. The IC’s on the motherboard were completely hidden. The motherboard looked like a fuzzy tan frosted cake. The aluminum CPU heatsink was solidly filled with cruft, as was the power supply, which was starting to get hot and smolder. To make things worse, The drive cages and frame were rusty and smelled of ammonia and the machine was full of fleas.

It turns out her favorite cat, a 20 something unaltered male with bladder issues, liked to sleep on the computer because it was warm, and she didn’t stop him because it would “upset him”.

I took the machine home, in the bed of my truck, blew it out, hosed down the case with simple green, and put it back together. It powered up and ran just fine. I was impressed.

6 Likes

My Dad was replacing probes in vats of food precursors. The probes were stainless steel and, after only a few months in situ, were corroded to nothing.

You mean not everyone has an air compressor at their house?!? I guess it’s a perk of living with a mechanic. It’s freaking handy to have around.

3 Likes

I’ve wanted a small compressor, mainly because buying cans of compressed air seems like such a racket to me. But i live on a 2nd story apartment and i’m sure my downstairs neighbors would hate me every time that thing kicked on.

Tech Support Gore and Clinton

Phoc96v1

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.