Technotronic's video for "Pump up the Jam" is a marvel

Originally published at: Technotronic's video for "Pump up the Jam" is a marvel | Boing Boing

3 Likes

music video 90s GIF

So 90s… much wow.

But give me Neneh Cherry instead…

17 Likes

And the real Ya Kid K version:

12 Likes

1989!

5 Likes

The number, another summer?
Sound of the funky drummer?

5 Likes

They were just early! Afro-futurism!

Also… LOOK!!!

Yay! Indya Moore!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

Music hitting your heart 'cause I know you got soul

5 Likes

If the Brooklyn accent is anything like the Philly accent, no vowel is considered correct unless it is a dipthong. Ideally a double dipthong. When my friend Joe’s mom called him in for dinner the fully spelled out pronunciation was something like “Jeeeaaaaoooowww!”

4 Likes

Bum Bags/Fanny Packs in full effect.

2 Likes

@jlw I am very sorry, but there is no Brooklyn accent here, the voice you are hearing on the videoclip is Ya Kid K, a Congolese–Belgian singer, which at the time was living in Chicago. Oh and by the way, the lip-syncing girl on the videoclip is Congolese model Felly Kilingi.

8 Likes

It’s even wilder when you realise that the the “native Brooklyner” singing in Jo Bogaert’s Belgian pop project Technotronic is the Congolese–Belgian rapper Ya Kid K.

5 Likes

That track (Pump up the Jam) and this track, share the same slot in my musical memory…

9 Likes

It still slaps, but I will always prefer Move This.

10 Likes

I’m a big fan of the cover by The Lost Fingers:

5 Likes

When this track came out it made me super mad that they got a hit on the radio with a casio keyboard and 15 minutes of studio time. Now I like it, for the same reason.

2 Likes

“Pwump” was always the word to worm my ear

2 Likes

Hey - Thanks you all for the music trip from my late teens! – loved all of these tunes. It is the sound track of the under 21 clubs in Orlando. Who knew that grunge was right around the corner for me and I started to smell like teen spirit.

1 Like

Eurodance thread?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.