Ted Chiang's "Story of Your Life" headed for the big screen

[Permalink]

1 Like

Oh hell to the yeah! There isn’t a single Ted Chiang story I wouldn’t ante up to see on the silver screen.

Not sure what you mean by one of science fiction’s genuine good guys, unless you were simply being understandably effusive. He’s certainly a good guy.

1 Like

I just read that one in the last week. I enjoyed it, but I have to admit, I have trouble seeing it as a movie.

But good on them for trying, rather than, say, just remaking the movie Ice Pirates.

The formulas on the book cover are an odd mix of the meaningful (I see some standard axioms from Peano Arithmetic and ZFC there) and the meaningless (such as ∀x∀y(∀x=∀y⇒x=y) ). I wonder what the story is there.

Tragically, we will probably never see an adaptation of the superb “Understand”, because “Limitless” (2011) already used mostly the same premise and fucked it up horribly. Read it here! It’s legal and a fine use of a reasonably small fraction of your time.

“Seventy-Two Letters” would still probably kickass, though.

It’s too bad we don’t have “The Outer Limits” around anymore for things like this.

Ted Chiang is wonderful - he’s written so many excellent things and every new story is an event. Oddly enough though, I’ve never really warmed to this, his most famouse story. But still, good news.

Jopho’s mention of Outer Limits, above, makes me dream of a world in which a revived Outer Limits (or Twilight Zone) does versions of stories by Ted Chiang and Greg Egan. That could be something special.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.