Teenage Engineering Field Desk

Originally published at: Teenage Engineering Field Desk | Boing Boing

3 Likes

It’s not April 1st, and this is real.

Well then.

8 Likes

Teenage Engineering has made some neat stuff in the past, but what is happening right now. Did some new managers take over and now they’re “monetizing the brand” or whatever?

$1600 for a cheap, spindly pile of aluminum and veneer is stupid beyond the pale.

18 Likes

Teenage Engineering is like “What if Apple was IKEA”.

20 Likes

I’ll stick to about $200 of IKEA shelves and tabletop, thanks.

5 Likes

My first thought too. I’m sure I could put together a better table from the various offerings at IKEA for much less, and of course it would still be as customizable as my imagination allowed.

Tip (you probably know this): If you want to go cheap, haunt the “as-is” section at IKEA. With luck, you’ll find enough material to build a good table to suit your own needs. .

7 Likes

These guys seem to have reinvented the T-slot rail system, but rotated 45° for maximum incompatibility. T-slot isn’t exactly cheap, but holy crap, this is overpriced.

8 Likes

I own one their adjustable drafting desks. It is fine. It is cheap.

4 Likes

That’s the best way I’ve seen it put. The materials used for their products don’t always justify the price tag, but damn it if they don’t have the sexiest marketing. I will give them credit for that.

3 Likes

That is nice! Does it give you the ability to tilt it like a traditional drafting table?

2 Likes

Yes. The saw horse trusses have slots for peg adjusted height risers. Front and back.

4 Likes

I am old enough remember when extruded aluminium was advertised as an inexpensive alternative to tube steel.

Also say goodbye to all your arm hair.

4 Likes

I think anyone actually working in the field would prefer a simple plane table

Just like people in the field prefer Rite in the Rain to Field Notes, despite the name

7 Likes

This is the new Pink Floyd album cover, right?

5 Likes

5 Likes

PFFFT. $1599 is even more than I expected they would charge for an 'effin desk. Well, something’s got to support their conspicuous consumption.

If anyone wants to know the correct table for outdoor electronic performance, Chain and the Gang has you covered. (That’s also the correct mixer, by the way).

7 Likes

Wow, that office is a tech company dystopian nightmare. I can hear the relentless echo from here. Everyone’s backs facing into the room to make sure nobody is ever really at ease… ugh.

4 Likes

Is there some technical term of art like this or is this the marketing gibberish I suspect it is. Sounds like something GMC would advertise with their trucks.

2 Likes

Likely 80% marketing, riffing off of whatever their selected alloy is for the material. From the Hydro website -

Interested in aluminium alloys?

We often develop the alloy in close cooperation with our customers, ensuring a perfect match between the metal and the challenge at hand.

Aluminium alloys are usually used to enhance aluminium’s properties for specific engineering structures and components where light weight or corrosion resistance are important. The most common elements used in aluminium alloys are magnesium, silicon, manganese, zinc and copper.

Aluminium is light, strong, and resistant to corrosion and cracking in itself. And when mixed with small amounts of other metals, its strength can equal that of steel, while maintaining its low weight and ductility.

BUT THEIR TRUCKS ARE PROFESSIONAL GRADE!!! /s

3 Likes

for about $50 you can get a pair of flat-pack folding sawhorses in either plastic or aluminum. harbor freight has plastic for under $30/pair. mine are notched to accept 2x4s, this is one 8 foot board cut in half, but if you aren’t supporting hundreds of pounds you can just slap a thin ply- or particle board top over them in your preferred size. lumber costs are a bit ridiculous now but you should be able to buy what you need and the hardware store will cut it for you for free, your looking at a light portable table for $100 or less if your top is thin, ugly plywood. but you can get cool looking furniture grade birch etc at a regular big box hardware if you want it to look nice.

3 Likes