Ten untranslatable words

Those are all translations of virtus, albeit ones so cumbersome that they will probably mess up the scansion of your poetry line.

Perhaps untranslatable is ineffable in English.

Ah, yes, the humble portmanteau. I too came up with a new word the other day. It’s a combination of the word “test” and the word article “article”. I hope it catches on.

1 Like

Why is it so unsurprising that the author of this book is a self-described “writer and illustrator,” and not a linguist or polyglot? It’s almost like she took a list of words (and the English meanings) someone gave her and drew some pictures, like a intern at an internet publisher might do

1 Like

Translation of simple, universal concepts like hunger, baby, left, right, deep, shallow - they’re all easy.

Some expressions cannot be translated, and they sit on a spectrum of complexity. Imagine translating the word “democracy” to the Chinese in 1975.

Talking of chinese - it’s a highly contextual language, the nuances drawing on associations with strings of information, some of them thousands of years old, connecting stories and approaches to relationships between people that simply do not exist in the english speaking world.

English, like Russian, is highly metaphorical. Put them next to Chinese and translation appears only to function at the basic level.

Every language has friction with every other language; barriers that prevent perfect translation. We manage to produce transliteration at an adequate level to work with the basic concepts, but few bar genius multi-linguist writers can ever achieve the level of metaphorical connection to convey the sense in both languages.

For the record, I’m bilingual, and converse in degrees varying from great to ok in four other languages.

If you can’t see that some sentences are not capable of concise translation, I’d be surprised.

2 Likes

I think virtus is definitely untranslatable and none of those words will do.

An untranslatable word that jumps to mind is the french au which we usually translate as “with” but doesn’t really just mean “with” and is just a preposition we don’t really have. I bet prepositions are a rich field for untranslatability.

Another one I’d say is ƚƫnyatā which I’m familiar with in English as “emptiness.” I think these days it is fair to say that it is translatable since one of the meanings of the word “emptiness” is now pretty much ƚƫnyatā. That’s a bit of an odd way of translating something, though - simply assigning a word to it and allowing that word to take up the additional meaning.

1 Like

Ok, we get it. ‘Untranslatable’ taken literally is a damned filthy lie and you will not take it anymore!

I wonder how you guys get any enjoyment at all out of wordplay, poetry etc. with such a strict zero tolerance policy on right-brained ambiguity/innacuracy.

I like humor, what I don’t like is “truthiness”, like “language X has an untranslatable word for perfectly clear concept Y” or “language X has no specific word for private property, or freedom, or lying and therefore people with this native language can’t possibly understand these concepts”, etc.

1 Like

there’s a Finnish word for the distance a reindeer can travel before needing to rest?

That’s bit sanitised the original term is poronkusema (about 7km) direct translation would be something like reindeers piss break or something. Reindeer can’t piss and run at thesame time and if they don’t get piss breaks they can become paralysed.

4 Likes

Sure. But clickbaity hyperbole aside, I find it kind of sad to entirely dismiss potentially interesting concepts like ‘some languages includes surprisingly specific shorthand for such and such, making you think about cultural diferences and the way our words shape our thoughs’ (or whatever thoughts might be inspired by this) with a blanket ‘No. Wrong’.

Baby with bathwater and all that.

3 Likes

Imagine translating the word “democracy” to the Chinese in 1975.

“A construct used in the United States to placate their serf-class”

11 Likes

There needs to be a word for a person who can’t find enjoyment in something if there’s any detail that’s at all technically incorrect about it.

5 Likes

Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

-Douglas Adams

1 Like

Good thing I don’t deal in poetry. But actually it’s not that simple, because what I do deal in is history and trying to untangle exactly what was at play in ancient texts when they talk about moral figures, and I can assure you, all of those things at best are the equivalent of describing purple to someone who’d never seen it as ‘kind of a blue-ish red’ . It’s accurate, but treacherous. When Cicero talks about Quintus Fabius Maximus Cunctator or Cato Major as having virtus , I need to understand it as his audience would have- or at least, as best I can, and not by any of the english approximations- because they give the wrong idea. I remember once reading a reference to someone being at the ‘precipice of glory’, which potentially contained the interesting idea of that height as implicitly dangerous, but when I tracked down the latin, while it was not an inaccurate translation, the latin language did not have that connotation.

1 Like

This is just silly. As said at the top, every single one of these is translatable.

Are we not all human? Do we not share the wealth of human experience? Does anyone really think that an Englishman, or a ǃKung hunter, has never experienced schadenfreude? Can you express the meaning in a few words? Then you can translate the concept, which is all translation is.

The idea that there needs to be a 1:1 word translation, or else it’s “untranslatable” is just absurd. By some counts, English has tens of thousands more words than any other language. Do we ever see lists of all the beautiful English concepts that don’t exist in those other languages? On the other side of the coin, you can combine words together in German as much as you like, creating new “words.” Rechtsschutzversicherungsgesellschaften means “insurance companies providing legal protection.” Is that untranslatable?

You can no more find deep meaning in the fact that Japanese has a word for “sunlight filtering through the trees”* than in the fact that German has “insurance companies providing legal protection.” All languages have the same concepts, it’s just that some use one word and some use three. The old idea from the '60s that the specific words in our language shape our consciousness has been shown to be BS.

*And the English word for the way sunlight filters through the trees is “dappled” sunlight

6 Likes

But as much as the West liked to mock them, countries like China (and East Germany,etc) that named themselves “democratic republics” relied on their people’s understanding of what democracy was, which wasn’t very different from the Western ideal – they had parliaments, elections, and in some cases like East Germany, actual multiple parties to choose from. Of course real dissidents were excluded from becoming candidates so there wasn’t that much choice in practice, but that’s really just a difference in degree rather than kind from Western democracies – where a common complaint is that there isn’t enough difference between the views of mainstream parties.

1 Like

Actually, there are more than 50 different ways to say “listicle” in Inuinnaqtun. That nearly 50% of Nunavut now works for the Huffington Post or Buzzfeed surely has nothing to do with this, however

1 Like

I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before on boing boing, but the Swedish word Lagom also does not have a corresponding word in English. Lagom means “just the right amount” or “just enough is best.”

That word exists in Sweden because it reflects a culture of moderation and modesty. A culture where such things as modesty are held up and admired as something desirable, respected, and something to achieve and live up to.

That word doesn’t exist in English because that idea doesn’t exist here in the United States, land of bigger is always better.

2 Likes

Well, I don’t know. I mean, I enjoyed it, I was just disappointed that it wasn’t about things that can’t be accurately translated into English because there are plenty of them and they’re interesting and I was looking forward to that. They’re like peeking into absolute blindspots, the ones we’re not aware of until we get sideswiped by some new and interesting idea. They impart interesting things about our culture, as well as the culture from which they originate. That kind of thing is like catnip to me.

1 Like

Has it? I don’t mean that flippantly, but the idea seems alive and well to me, if perhaps in evolved form. There are certainly a lot of people who study culture through the lens of its language. Admittedly, that’s a reversal of what you’re saying, in that it’s about the way language reflects culture and mentalities, rather than the way language shapes them, but it’s pretty close.

If you’ve got something specific in mind arguing against it, I would be glad if you would point me in that direction!

I’m not an absolutist about any of it, but I do find it jibes with my experience. For example, any time I see someone talking about women as “females” there’s a better than even odds that the next bit is going to be woefully sexist. If you’re lucky. Word choice can be awfully revealing, especially in how often language and references are used to identify ourselves as part of the group, whichever group that is. But there’s arguably another layer to it- like the females example, that usage is often not isolated from a sense of women as sub-human and monolithic. It keys up the idea of naturalist language. ‘the female in her natural habitat’ kind of thing. It creates an artificial sense of distance from the thing being examined, and it definitely is accompanied with the sense of the object as ‘thing’. Also implies the idea that women are something that must be studied to be understood, another type of distancing. As I said, it’s not absolute, but in context, it can be quite indicative.

A Brazilian friend of mine was having difficulty understanding what pizazz means, because every time he asks someone, the best they could do was jazz hands.

10 Likes