Ten untranslatable words

That’s hilarious. So, what IS pizazz after all? I’m also Brazilian, with a good grasp of English, but this is admittedly the kind of word I can skim over and kind of know what it means in context (enough to be able to skip the dictionary and move on), but not REALLY know, you know?

The best I can come up with is a kind of flair with a tinge of chutzpah. Was I close? :smile:

2 Likes

Here’s something special for my fellow richness-and-ambiguity-of-meaning lovers.

You’re probably using the wrong dictionary

5 Likes

Kudos to you for your classic exploding-pizza CBC icon, BTW.

Perfect! This is the lede (lead? untranslatable!) of this story. It is possible that the language I think in makes some thoughts easier (more accessible, permissible) and others less so. Perhaps this has an effect on my culture. Of course it is highly unlikely that anyone will understand your complex statement unless a language can be found that expresses it with one word.

Galswenschadenfreudeporonkusemasnowclone - the non-smile smile on my face that reflects the feeling I have observing others not even being able to get a reindeer’s piss into a discussion of what words in foreign languages imply about their culture and whether they are untranslatable before being dismissed.

1 Like

I like to think ‘staying curious’ trumps ‘only paying attention to things of perfectly airtight logical validity’.

Except that pretty much all of these are compound words or idiomatic phrases.

You can disagree with someone’s definition of something and still find the thing itself though-provoking. I do it all the time.

Now I need a word for gross generalization. But there is no single word in English that expresses that thought because we like to use more and bigger words because we are all from Texas.

2 Likes

So, a person…

1 Like

Texneralization?

I can’t read that scribbly drawn text. It’s terrible, actually.

1 Like

Bof.

(“Post must be at least six characters”? Bof.)

1 Like

We americans have lots of words for gross generalization, like malarky, hogwash, and bullshit. What we don’t have is a word for is “modest generalization”, or more accurately “moderate generalization is best”.

1 Like

I’m reminded of all the Americans in the '80s who said that the Russians had no word for détente. Ironically they do, but Americans don’t…

4 Likes

Words, not “words”. You are just in denial about your compounds which work pretty much exactly the same way. For some reason you insist on breaking them up with spaces - except when you don’t. :slight_smile:

I was going to say “Someone a bit more forgiving than a Scotsman”

1 Like

A book that is similar in theme, but less whimsical

Dictionary of Untranslatables

It is, of course, a translation from the French.

2 Likes

A true Scotsman?

1 Like

Isn’t there a word for “the tallest branch/spot on the top of a tree” in some language with no English translation?

On Pizzazz:

You know how in Brazil people do things like dance and celebrate and dress up and have fun? We have to have a special word for that because we don’t.

(I kid! I think flair + chutzpah is a very good concept of pizzazz)

1 Like