Tentaclebots have finally arrived

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/31/tentaclebots-have-finally-arri.html

4 Likes

Made me think of Dr Oc.

9 Likes

You know that the researchers just buy these bulk from Bad Dragon, right?

8 Likes

Pretty sure several Hentai fans will be VERY happy now.

12 Likes

How firmly can it hold onto a fat cock? I’m asking for a friend…

10 Likes

I, for one, welcome our new Cthulhoid robot overlords!

12 Likes

They’ve had these in Japan for decades.

4 Likes

I want to see a prosthetic hand with five of these on it.

10 Likes

In completely unrelated news, Japanese sex bot makers promise a new model release in the coming months.

6 Likes

There goes my chance of getting a good night’s sleep.

1 Like

How about a real hand?

9 Likes

Mine too. Mrrowr.

6 Likes

Mechanically this is old hat, effects guys have made tentacles for generations. I had a kid working for me in the early 90’s who had actually patented a tentacle “robotic arm” he did in design school, but he had no interface. The question is how smart is the device. what kind of sensorium does it have, and how well does it respond to feedback?

4 Likes

Yeah right … gripping … that’s exactly what they will be used for.

1 Like

I don’t feel like this is new. I think I’ve seen thing something similar before. Would be more impressed if it actually had infinite degrees of freedom in an infinite number of joints (or approximately) like a real tentacle. Instead this effectively a fancy party favors that unroll when you blow into them and roll back up after.

2 Likes

I was all up for fantasy but when the rolled up magazine bit at 30 seconds happened… wrong kind of robot reference!!

1 Like

I’ve always thought that pneumatics mada more sense than stepper motors for grasping because what you really want to control is the pressure, (strong enough not to drop it, but soft enough not to crush it) rather than the position of the manipulator.

4 Likes

That’s tentacular!

(I’ve always wanted an excuse to say that; proof all things come to those who wait.)

2 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.