Terrorists torch five black Ferguson-area churches, nation yawns

Forgive Sascha, he is German. Though it is possible the font they use didn’t have the full punctuation marks it should. Also his band name is technically is incorrect grammatically in German (KMFDM = Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid, loosely translated as “no pity for the majority”). So maybe he just doesn’t give a fuck.

A dollop of that fabric paint will ease your pain.

1 Like

Depends on the context – in some of my circles, not calling people names and swearing on the regular means you’re not part of the circle, while in others, being part of the circle means keeping dialing that shit down to Zero. And in a context like this one, where different people from many different places have different ways of communicating, I see no reason to call out people for the way they happen to choose to communicate.

(And that’s all aside from the problem I won’t get into, that of apparent members of dominant groups demanding that THEIR mode of communication be used, even when communicating with apparent members of subordinate groups who happen to communicate together differently. You did look up “tone argument,” I hope?)

Sorry. I was just going with the common idea that the opposite of cowardice is bravery.

Is that really the only thing in my comment you found worthy of response??

1 Like

“On the other hand… it is extremely unlikely that five different churches were all hit (apparently) by the same person or group in a short period entirely due to them being “targets of opportunity”, and they all just coincidentally happened to be predominantly black churches. Especially given the location. There’s a chance, but, really, it’s tough to criticize the conclusion.”

I’m really not following you here. The fires have all occurred in a very small area around Ferguson in predominantly black neighborhoods.Is it really that hard to imagine that a serial arsonist living in the area is going to attack churches opportunistically where he lives rather than leave his comfort zone to target some white church in a different area?

Again, absolutely could be racially or religiously motivated, but without additional evidence and no indication that there were threats made against the churches, hard to draw a conclusion that this is terrorism.

I run into this whenever I’ve spent time with Australians. If you aren’t calling your best friends “wanker”, “cunt” or “fuckhead”, they’ll look at you weirdly. Anyway, yes, I see where you’re coming from.

4 Likes

Burning down (or trying to burn down) a bunch of churches isn’t a threat made against the churches?

I often wonder if the people who put such energy into this kind of terrorism denial do the same when corporate media outlets jump to describe incidents apparently involving Arabs or Muslims with that word.

5 Likes

What’s a Git?

1 Like

Sure it is. The goal is to terrorize the black community into compliance to their lot in life. Or is it only terrorism when brown people do it?

4 Likes

In my experience, familiarity and the bonds that come with it are strengthened through good natured ribbing and name calling. Indeed some romantic relationships are spiced up with dirty words.

Though you run into danger when you try this with people you are not familiar with. Then you run the risk of insulting people and starting fights. And of course people using those same words on purpose to insult someone. (obvious example is the N-word which is both used as a sign of friendship and a hateful insult).

I generally refrain from name calling online, though if I do I use rather bland words like idiot and asshole.

1 Like

Duh… everyone knows terrorists are lazy and can’t be arsed to wake up prior to noon! Only good Christians, with a solid protestant work ethic can wake up to send “those people” a message! /s

1 Like

Um… expect, we have a long history of terrorism against our black citizens. These are all black churches. I sincerly doubt it’s some rogue atheists or anti-Christians. I’m sorry, but the only christians who have regularly been under threat of terrorist violence are black Christians, and that from their white Christian counterparts. that’s just a fact of history that you just need to deal with.

4 Likes

And wasn’t that terrorism?

Well, except that they could have just used the alcohol as an excuse to carry out their racist fantasties, because they “want to take their country back”. In general, I don’t think drunk people do such things on purpose, unless they’d be predisposed it anyhow.

2 Likes

I’ve put my case, and you have put yours, and we disagree. Would you like me to argue with you for the hell of it?

Regarding insults, I take the point that using the word twat was stupid after calling people out for resorting to insults. In my defence, I was using it to refer to a mass murderer, not a fellow contributor on this forum.

To give some context for my views - my family refused a police guard when my grandfather was put on an IRA hit list. IRA tactics at the time were to chuck Semtex on a car and blow up whoever happened to start the car, regardless of occupants or passers by. So, no, I don’t think terrorists are fucking brave. But yes, II do know what living under a very real terrorist threat is like.

2 Likes

To answer your question:

There’s at least a five-mile radius that’s been targeted, and there do appear to be some predominantly white neighborhoods in that area as well. Are you saying our hypothetical opportunist was so well acquainted with all of these churches involved (though they were of widely varying Christian sects) that they just wouldn’t feel comfortable going to a church that’s equally as nearby, and also a target of opportunity, but is white? Again, this is possible, but you’re turning this into a very picky opportunist.

Oh, and a sad update… according to this CNN story from yesterday, there have now been six churches hit, not five.

5 Likes

Did they ever have a shirt for Rip the system, because I swear I remember seeing at shirt that say’s “black man, white man, rip the system”?

I think this case rises to the level of terrorism, given the US history of race relations in America.

I don’t know, but I do have an old large magnet that says “KFMDM - Rip the system.”

The lyric was revisited in the song “Glory” which is one of my favorites of all time of theirs.

ETA - oops - forgot the link:

2 Likes

Crosses?