Texas: prisoners whose families maintain their social media presence face 45 days in solitary

I’m a 45 year old Texan and lived here all my life. I have always wondered the same thing. In fact, people I grew up with that I wouldn’t expect to reflect that as adults do now, in spades. They berate me for believing in things like individual liberties that don’t have to do with religion or guns, not hating the poor, wanting to see people have dignity or supporting Bernie Sanders. I still nominally associate with them because they are family or I have them on my Facebook, but otherwise it’s pretty lonely when I look around and don’t see much in the way of alternatives in my age group.

11 Likes

That’s a shame. It would seem it might be time for you to venture to the NW. This region would mesh well with your views.
The thing is, you can be as fanatic as you want to be out here, but it’s a live and let live attitude, not a live and suppress anyone who is different mode of thought.

1 Like

As a Texan who reads this site, I am of course appalled but not completely surprised.

My question is why the French jail cell picture?

2 Likes

Sure they can.

Never undeestimate the sadism of the prison industrial complex.

1 Like

2 Likes

The niceness is a country thing… Sorta.

There’s a madness about the place. It comes from everything there, from the too short access ramps to the water moccasins to the busted A/C in the summer, conspiring to kill you.

Get the little rituals wrong, and it’s met with swift and severe punishment.

Those wave happy drivers like waves back. Flick them off and it’s a whole 'nother country.

5 Likes

What you’re describing, when applied to a relationship, is abuse.

6 Likes

So, you’re essentially saying Texan’s attitude is all Displacement for the frustration from the environment?

My wife is from northern California. The thing is, we can live here and have a very good material quality of life or make the same money there and live in a cardboard box (I exaggerate quite a bit, but still). It’s a bargain with the devil.

Yes, yes it is; how dare they family while family-ing away? Or violate True Names policy that’s up to the service to dispose upon in a no-fault manner? Quickly, the nothing glass is spilling over!

They elect Geo W Bush twice. They elect Rick Perry three times. They crazy.

2 Likes

People there are products of it.

One of the reasons people recognize how dangerous Manson really is, is that he’s been allowed to speak to the press, etc., which means his horrific ideas are laid bare for all to see.

Having family and friends on the outside who still remain connected to you and want what’s best for you is one of the only ways to come out of prison with any hope of remaking your life.

This is vindictive, pure and simple.

7 Likes

It’s almost biblical. /s

1 Like

There are 48 other states to check out. Don’t limit yourself! Maybe try somewhere halfway in between, so going back to visit relatives isn’t hard.

There’s some sort of obsession with punishment running through the American justice system.

You sentence people according to the crime committed and any extenuating circumstances. That’s the “price” they pay for violating society’s trust. Increasing punishment should only be possible via the courts, not by the whim of some prison industrial complex flunky!

After serving their sentence, they should be free to rejoin society.

4 Likes

Oh, you starry-eyed dreamer, you!

6 Likes

I know, right

1 Like

Get the fuck out.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.