Thailand is losing the war on dissent, thanks to user notifications and HTTPS

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/22/great-firewalls-vs-forward-sec.html

Well, one thing’s for sure: we won’t be seeing the king of Thailand here in Munich that often any more. Or it turns out he doesn’t give a shit and it’s toadies freaking out, but that seems highly unlikely.

4 Likes

My biggest fear is that this basket case behaviour is contagious. In last few years the category expanded from a handful of countries such as Thailand, Syria, Belarus etc. to include firs China and Russia and now already even the likes of UK. The window of liberty seems to be shrinking instead of widening.

3 Likes

Canaries in the global coal mine?

3 Likes

ome former Soviet states in the Caucuses make it a crime to use a browser unless it has a domestically issued certificate that allows spies to launch man-in-the-middle attacks on HTTPS and see all private communications

When will this cruel repression of Caucasians end?!?!

1 Like

This goes hand in hand with blasphemy laws, especially in countries with royalty. It’s that whole “by the grace of God / the divine right right of kings” scam. In other words, the elites are in power because it’s a natural order created by God wich man must not upset. At least according to the ruling elites1).

1) I wouldn’t mind elites at all if they would adhere to the definition of being “a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society”; i.e. someone is part of an elite based on the fact that they are really, really good at something that benefits society as a whole, and everyone gets a shot at proving their abilities.

2 Likes

The constant blurring and erasure of the distinction between skill/knowledge elites and wealth/power elites isn’t an accident.

It’s very useful to the wealth/power elite; it provides them with unearned credibility and a bullshit justification for maintaining inequality, as well as allowing them to divert critique onto the skill/knowledge elites.

(some former Soviet states in the Caucuses make it a crime to use a browser unless it has a domestically issued certificate that allows spies to launch man-in-the-middle attacks on HTTPS and see all private communications, though this will be harder and harder to implement, thanks to Certificate Transparency)

Could you clarify which states are you referring to? Are they Russian controlled?

Rule of thumb: if Russia isn’t currently at war with them, then Russia considers they’re sufficiently under its control.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.