Theresa May promises a British version of Iran's Halal Internet

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/19/little-england-little-internet.html

5 Likes

30 Likes

The UK has some serious issues to address but the real problem, the thing that is most dangerous is people watching people have sex. Thankfully, May will save the British people from themselves.

40 Likes

Well, it’s only natural that you would be prejudiced against dogging…

11 Likes

Well i can guess she May lose the election.

16 Likes

Is there seriously enough support for bullshit like this that it’s helpful to one’s political platform? Or is this just a job creation program for government/contractor coders, as whatever this magic F-35 of software is, it will never be finished (it will never work in the first place…)

16 Likes

Wait, what? Are we to return to the Dark Times of dog-eared magazines under the bed? Is the advance of civilization truly doomed?

16 Likes

What I keep getting from measures like this: People like May want the individual to become…less.
Less intelligent, less willful, less able to make decisions.

23 Likes

What could possibly happen if the government has to vet all users and approve all content on the internet? Oh wait that sounds exactly like Fascism.

16 Likes

So, no information about the Brexit government online, then?

24 Likes

I wonder how they think these measures are sound. A good rule of thumb is look around you and see what other people are doing (and who they are). Pretty much the only countries restricting their internet access and content are countries under dictatorial non-democratic rules. Does May think that the UK really needs to be in that company?

17 Likes

Like most politicians, Theresa May seems to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the Internet works. Not only is this technologically unfeasible, the people will easily circumvent the censorship.

On the “bright side”, hopefully announcement will give previously apathetic people the kick in the pants to care about the open Internet and privacy. If (God forbid) this does actually happen, I’d like to see community operated meshnets and darknets to circumvent this.

14 Likes

Y’all got on this boat for different reasons, but y’all come to the same place. So now I’m asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They’ll swing back to the belief that they can make people… better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin’.

29 Likes

And they’ll be trying to break encryption.

Post-Brexit Britain is going to be one hell of a place to run a social media, search, media or financial business.

14 Likes

Or anything else that requires modern electronic infrastructure.

13 Likes

One thing’s clear, authoritarians of all sorts fear and loathe the open Internet; fortunately, the Internet and its most technologically adept contributors are highly inclined to route around them.

Any self-described libertarian in the UK should be ashamed to support May and the Tories.

14 Likes

“I like to watch.”

14 Likes

That’s the extra terrifying part for me as an American - if the UK does something this insane, it will appear more normal to “conservatives” in the US and other western democracies. Gives them permission to try it elsewhere.

22 Likes

Explanation for politicians:

“We want all telephony operators to vet the contents of all calls to make sure nobody talks about horrifying topics, such as sex.”

17 Likes

Elect me I’ll keep you safe from the world and even yourself in out own Walled Castle!

6 Likes