That sea salt you bought probably has microplastics in it

Himalayan Sea Salt. From Pakistan. Packaged in the USA. By La Selva (aka: The Forrest in Spanish).

8 Likes

Yeah, but what did they have in ancient times? They’re not saying.

1 Like

Back then, they called it “new” sea salt?

4 Likes

Thank goodness I didn’t buy the tumeric! Lead!
https://oag.ca.gov/prop65/60-day-notice-2016-01517

No, Salt Comes From Cleveland

3 Likes

We’re so close geographically, it’s no surprise.

Obligatory “Detroit vs. Cleveland” comment: But the Detroit River has never caught fire…yet.

4 Likes

Cleveland rocks?

2 Likes

Whoa that’s kinda scary. I tend to buy cheap seasonings and spices for food, and i do wonder how much of it is really what i’m trying to buy. But then i look at those $10+ bottles of spices and my apprehension goes away.

*pun intended

2 Likes

Um…to quote Ringo Starr from “A Hard Day’s Night”:

“I don’t care.”

1 Like

There was a story in the LA Times last week? about microplastic pollution in the Arctic

1 Like

So, out of the 17 brands they found 72 particles, that’s about 4 per box.

Of those, 2 (40%) were microscopic particles of plastic, one was some kind of flavor / color thing, and one was identified.

So out of hundreds of thousands of grains of sand, there are about 2 microscopic dots of plastic? Are we use they came from the sea, and didn’t just flake off of the brushes used to agitate the salt, or the gloves used to handle them, or a million other possible contact points? I like the theory of ‘ha ha you apex predator, we’re absorbing the plastic we put into the environment’ kind of stuff, but the quantities here seem pretty small.

3 Likes

Reading further into the article the “37” particles is not referring to the maximum level before there would be health concerns. They state the average consumption is 3.95g/day which is averaged to 3.5Kg/annum. The number of particles is approximately 0-10 particles/Kg, therefore we could potentially consume up to 37 particles/annum. Study the world!

1 Like

It’s all just the circle of life, like, you know, man.

I would trust sea salt from more developed countries like the USA because we treat our sewage a little better (living wage, benefits etc.). I wonder how much of the colors and “flavors” of salt from around the world have more to do with levels of untreated sewage?

Not to mention the trace amounts of pharmaceuticals and caffeine which pass through the human kidneys and into the sea, and all the detergents, soap, and fragrances which are not filtered from the household waste stream.

Hmm… I think I have just convinced myself to only buy mined salt.

Does “Kosher” salt mean the microplastic beads have been blessed by a rabbi?

7 Likes

Damn right :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Big deal. According to the FDA Defects Levels Handbook, you can have up to 6 insect fragments in a 100G piece of chocolate. And then it’s only considered an aesthetic defect.

Where’s your big front page exposé on that? You don’t have one, because it’s not a big deal. It’s harmless and you’re just slinging FUD. Please don’t do that. There’s too many real things we need to worry about.

Kosher salt isn’t blessed, it’s used in the process of Koshering meat. If you need your salt to be blessed, then you’ll need to find “kosher certified salt.”

1 Like

Perhaps because insects are generally edible, and polymers generally aren’t?

I don’t recall the article saying that it was a big deal, or that “we” need to worry about anything. Things can be news simply because they actually happen. You can decide the significance - if any - for yourselves.

3 Likes

I get the Himalayan salt for the microclimbers in it.

10 Likes

This finally prompted me to see what the difference was…

3 Likes