That's hot: why every food seems to have a spicy version

Well said!
I second the green chile burger recommendation. My personal favorite green chile dish is a green smothered burrito in Nellie’s in Las Cruces… if one can actually manage to catch them open!

Chile:

Chili:

Seems Chile is a valid spelling too. How about that.

1 Like

all in on the green chili burger!
What-A-Burger in Mesa, AZ had a commendable version that used Hatch (NM) chilies. can’t call it “Hatch chili” if it doesn’t come from there (or so it is said). all I know, is that it was a damn fine burger!
as for spicy snacks, I am frankly tired of “flamin’ hot chee-wees” and the like. too sugary and that spice flavoring is lame and WTF is with all that red shit coloring? keep 'em. I’ll stick to crunching down on a homegrown pepper - fresh or pickled!
edit: tyop

If you are in need of a green chile burger with no other options in the area, you can get one at Chuy’s. But it’s not officially on the menu. You have to ask for the kids burger, which is damn good by itself. They make them from fresh ground beef, not frozen patties. Worth it even if you just want a good burger.

So you ask for the kids burger and for them to put the green chile, not the sauce but the chopped green chile they use to make the sauce, on the burger. As much as they will let you have.

If you explain it right, you get an awesome burger and fries. Sometimes a small drink, and if you really go for it, the push pop. All for like $6 or $7.

Edit: you also get chips and salsa for free. So we like to overtip for such bounty.

1 Like

started eating spicy foods because my tiny asian mom loved them (for white engineer dad, butter is about as spicy as he goes). Mom was the tough one tbh…

Figured out pretty quickly that you start mild, but then you need more and more as you become acclimated to the spice.

Within reason of course, things like those paqui chips and “the death nut challenge” etc… are pretty crazy.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s true, but I recall reading that spiciness is one of the “flavors” that nobody has an innate attraction to that they are born with, that pain is entirely an acquired taste. But humans are weird, so dunno,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.