The 2020 Census is headed for a "train wreck" thanks to Trump's mismanagement

I understand where you are going and let’s get the data, so great idea but… don’t help by boosting funds because we shouldn’t have to, because then that is the way it will be. It’s in the Constitution that this MUST be done for goodness sake!

The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting
of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in
such Manner as they shall by Law direct

Article 1, Section 2. https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/Article_1_Section_2.pdf

I get really pissed off when the government that I pay for starts messing with my data (that I paid for!).

as an aside - Appropriate use (I didn’t even have to eject your false dichotomy):

I don’t understand. It seems obvious to me that if Trump is involved in the preparation for the census, then he can cause problems for it even if he’s not part of the actual census itself or even in office at that point.

@Medievalist This is good news from your perspective, right? Aren’t you anti-census for some reason?

Well, the optimism is that it would be fixed by then. Or at the least if he only lasts 2 years, you have 2 years to fix it.

Although in general happy to blame Trump on most evils of the world, and sure he will screw up the Census, because, heck, why not. However, “Trump’s cuts and chaos has left the census gravely behind schedule”, seems harsh, as not sure how much impact he could have in 3 months on a 3 year ramp up. Certainly not, “gravely behind”.

Well they could always simplify things by counting only property owners.

2 Likes

Remember Mulvaney’s “we cant prove that school lunches do anything so we are going to eliminate them” (because, of course, feeding children isn’t a goal he considers important)?

The other part of the plan is to ensure that we can’t prove anything at all.

4 Likes

Not quite, but nonetheless you’ve got a good memory, I’m sure I haven’t mentioned that recently!

I got the first census form (that everyone gets, and that I highly approve of) and filled it out, and then I got randomly selected for the second, much more detailed form (that very few people get, and that I have mixed feelings about) and I filled that out, and then I got selected for the third level, which is absurdly detailed, and almost nobody gets, and which I refused to fill out.

The first level form wants to know how many citizens live in your house. Very important.

The 2nd level form wants to know how many toilets and bathtubs are in your house, and how many miles you drive to work every day, and what mileage your cars get, and what fuel your furnace uses, etc. Very useful for government to know.

The 3rd level form is insane. It wants to know exactly what hours your house is unattended, where your valuables are… it’s just basically a how-to kit for burglary and identity theft. And since I am intimately familiar with government information security, I refuse to provide that level of info.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.