The Amazing Jonathan has passed away

Originally published at: The Amazing Jonathan has passed away | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Damn, and so young. I never got to see him on-stage as I hoped to one day and now I never will. Condolences to his family and friends.

12 Likes

As a kid I remember seeing him cut off his own thumb, blood and all and then waving his hand around, miraculously with the thumb still attached.

I tried that trick at home, when, after the second time, I realized he wasn’t really sawing off his own thumb. I gave up magic after that, as well as using scissors with my thumbs. At worst, I can try to figure out that trick 8 more times, but that will never be as funny as him preforming any of his terribly awesome jokes and tricks.

8 Likes

The Amazing Jonathan was amazing. This is a sad day.

10 Likes

Nooooo!!!

I LOVE The Amazing Johnathan. He is the right combination of dark humor, gag humor, and magic.

I remember on Friday nights on Fox, back when they were first starting out, they used to have a stand up comedy show. I forget the name, (ETA - oh its in the article, “Comic Strip Live”) but he was a semi-regular. LOVED his brand of humor.

I used to watch Cris Angel’s Mindfreak, and he was on there a couple of times.

Many years later I got to see him live at the Flamingo. It was a weekday and the show wasn’t very full, so I was able to get a front row seat. He unfortunately called on some other guy to come on stage for his tricks, but at one point he asked me to verify if a $20 bill was real, and he kept snatching it away from me. I’m screaming in my head, “He’s fucking with me! The Amazing Johnathan is fucking with me!”

A true legend. He will be missed.

10 Likes

Sometimes magic sounds like tape. Wiser words were never spoken.

I will miss The Amazing Jonathan.

8 Likes

Canter’s Deli with him was always ridiculous but he did eventually let us eat.

6 Likes

I found it. I got this book and a shirt that night. Grrrrr, it looks like a little something got on the lower pages. How the heck did that happen?

Anyway, it is my one keep sake.

6 Likes

Whoa, i never would’ve expected this news. When i lived in Vegas i was desperately broke so i never got to see him perform but he was one of those acts i always longed to see, and now i’m bummed that i’ll never get a chance. Really sad to hear and my heart goes out to his loved ones.

4 Likes

I remember that he did get diagnosed with a heart disease and at one point they said he had about a year to live, but he got 7 more.

2 Likes

Does this mean I’m never getting my lighter back?

5 Likes

he always made me laugh so hard. best magician facial expressions EVER, and apparently he was working in the dad joke fields well before it was cool (again).

5 Likes

Guess I’m out of touch - that video is the first I’ve ever seen of him. And absolutely delightful.

2 Likes

We’re fortunate to live near Mark Riley’s Comedy Castle. The one time he did a weekend engagement we had to work and missed him.

Reading some stories, his wife was an amazing person taking care of him at home til the end.

2 Likes

This was where most people saw him for the first time, back on Comedy Central. Apparently transferred from someone’s VHS copy, but still entertaining:

4 Likes

I like this take on the old psychic “cold reading”

4 Likes

Aw dang. RIP. I have an autographed copy of his book.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.