The American Library Association says Melvil Dewey is canceled

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/30/the-american-library-associati.html

3 Likes

Eventually, Dewey et al will be consigned to the 930 shelves.

21 Likes

But do we stick with the Dewy Decimal System?

3 Likes

More of a fan of the Library of Congress Classification System, myself. But apparently Herbert Putnam (who developed it) was also a difficult man to work for.

7 Likes

Well, that certainly personalizes what may be the driest topic in modern history. Yikes.

5 Likes

So the problem was mainly how he classified humans?

12 Likes

Is it weird that I’m “impressed” that a board of regents censured him for racism and antisemitism before 1905?

20 Likes

So what’s the new name for the Dewey Decimal System? I’ll bet it has more syllables. Just call it the ALA Catalogue.

2 Likes

Try to claim this decision by “PC thugs” is “ruining your childhood”, right-wingers!

16 Likes

Give it time.
By which I mean a couple of minutes.

14 Likes

I once considered using the Dewey Decimal System to organize my home library, until I found out the dang thing was copyrighted. Funk that! LoC for me.

4 Likes

Under the Dewey Decimal system all comic books are assigned the same number. He sucks and his system sucks.

Also I didn’t notice that John Struan was writing here, neat! His own blog is great. I have read it daily for over a decade.

http://www.superpunch.net

4 Likes

And all computer technology is relegated to the 004s. How dare Dewey not anticipate the cultural and technological changes of the next century.

Dude had his problems, but his system isn’t that bad, and given the millions of items in libraries across the country which are not going to be recataloged just because he’s been ghosted, maybe just learn to live with it. We can rename it the plain Decimal System, if that makes you happier.

3 Likes

How about renaming it to Douchebag Decimal System?

4 Likes

Overdue.  

7 Likes

Here’s a relevant episode from an awesome podcast.

3 Likes

I can only imagine what you had to do to get nailed for sexual harrasment in the 30s.

6 Likes

Try to nail the wrong man’s wife.

6 Likes

Don’t tell Conan the Librarian.

3 Likes