The antique tech shortage that hurts the vinyl boom

This is why I love vinyl:

Sound quality. Vinyl can sound better on occasion. Brand new vinyl I think does have a better sound than old/used vinyl. Especially if it uses high grade 180 gram vinyl. These records are a bit thicker than normal records, there are less tracks per side. Normally if you buy an album on 180 gram vinyl it is often two records. 180 gram vinyl is generally the best sounding vinyl you can get. Even with old vinyl the static like sound you sometimes get can add character to a record.

Vinyl more or less makes you listen to the entire album. Yes. you can jump to a particular track but I find it easier to just let it play. This way you listen to the entire record. Sometimes you may hear a song you might normally skip on a CD or MP3. For example on Billy Joelā€™s album ā€œThe Strangerā€ there is a track on the second side called ā€œVienna.ā€ This is an excellent song and for some reason is not on a greatest hits collection that Iā€™ve seen. People might often skip these songs on other formats. Greatest hits collections are fine but I prefer to listen to the studio albums. There are other great songs beyond just a greatest hits collection. You might find a song you love that isnā€™t considered a hit for one reason or another.

For those who like the album art vinyl is a better choice because of the larger sleeve. Also sometimes vinyls
will include posters and other extras that canā€™t fit into a CD jewel case.

I find the entire experience of listening to vinyl a much more active experience that playing a CD or listing to an iPod. You need to pick the vinyl, put it on the turntable, drop the needle, listen to it, flip the record and then put it back. Something about doing all that feels more rewarding to me than putting in a CD.

Vinyl is incredibly affordable. You can get used records for just a few dollars in most used music stores. New vinyl is more expensive but those are generally 180 gram records. Also most modern artists will include a code to download the album if you buy their album new on vinyl. This is good because trying to digitize an album is a pain. Also you get an awesome feeling when you finally find a record youā€™ve been searching for. I have all of Garbageā€™s studio albums on vinyl except for Bleed Like Me. That one was never released on vinyl. It took a while to find all of them because they were either mostly released on vinyl in Europe, only available on CD in the United States or if there were vinyl releases in the States they were a very limited run.

This really has nothing to do with the conversation, but this gif clearly shows an early electric phonograph playing a 78 rpm shellac record. As far as I know there has not been a shellac record made since the late 60s. (Some late Beatles records were pressed on 78 for the Indian market where people supposedly still had hand crank phonographs then) Yes, people have made 78 rpm vinyl records since then, but vinyl cannot withstand the heavy steel styluses like the one shown in this gif, and those newer vinyl 78s must be played on modern turntables. Iā€™m just saying, if you think itā€™s difficult to press vinyl, itā€™s impossible to press new shellac.

2 Likes

And if you want to see just how complicated it is to make shellac records, just check out all the crazy industrial equipment in this video. Iā€™m sure most of those machines were sold for scrap 50 years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beMV5wcf0js

1 Like

Provably untrue:

2 Likes

And after the recording begins, the engineer never touches the controls.

Iā€™m pretty sure youā€™ve got vinyl that plays at 78 rpm speed thereā€¦ Thatā€™s exactly what all the ā€œnewā€ 78s areā€¦ like the Elvis record that came out on record store day etc. And if it is vinyl, donā€™t try to play it on a vintage machine. It will destroy it.

Or you could simply do a reverse image search and discover that thereā€™s a band that calls itself ā€œShellac.ā€

6 Likes

doh. you got me.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s an amazing set up! You win!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.