The arctic seed bank that was going to save us all is flooding

Building a vault on an island in the ocean close to sea level that isn’t flood proof? Sounds like someone needs to get a refund from the designer 'cause that’s an oversight I’d characterize as gross negligence.

3 Likes

‘Still worried? Maybe this will help you exhale: “We did this calculation; if all the ice in the world melted—Greenland, Arctic, Antarctic, everything—and then we had the world’s largest recorded tsunami right in front of the seed vault. So, very high sea levels and the worlds largest Tsunami. What would happen to the seed vault?” Fowler says. “We found that the seed vault was somewhere between a five and seven story building above that point. It might not help the road leading up to the seed vault, but the seeds themselves would be ok."’

" Its being 130 metres (430 ft) above sea level will keep the site dry even if the ice caps melt.[15]"

There’s also a sort of bridge over a ditch at the entrance:

But when the mountainside looks like this most of the year and then that snow converts to water, you’re easily going to have some “water intrusion” in an unmanned installation:

6 Likes

Good news has been banned for the foreseeable future.

8 Likes

Hubris is a dish best served cold.

4 Likes

Best not to call them leaks, Mr. President. We prefer the term fluid extrusions, more obfuscatory that way.

4 Likes

Can I ask a totally unrelated question? I read my RSS feeds using Feedly on my Android phone. Sometimes, but not always, when I open the full article in chrome it brings up the mobile version of the site which doesn’t have an option to see comments. Selecting the “request desktop version” doesn’t do anything. It’s been happening for quite a while. Anyone know how to fix it?

2 Likes

The thing is, areas that have substantial ice right now - that is, areas with glaciers near coasts- are going to see the sea level fall when the ice melts because the gravitational pull of the ice mass is causing water to mound up in those (polar) regions right now. When the glaciers melt, the mass is gone and water levels drop. (Which also means the water is going to go to temperate areas, beyond what you’d expect for an “x centimeter global increase in sea level” - sea level rise isn’t evenly distributed.)

2 Likes

Just be careful, boss monsters spawn in places like that.

5 Likes

2 Likes

I did not know about that, but I must also point out that was very different, local circumstances. There the falling rock caused the tsunami to form in a bay:

I’m not saying it can’t happen where the seed vault is, but seems very unlikely. Pretty hard to guard against all possible disasters when you’re building for the ages.

2 Likes

My, That was a strange reaction…
Has Popular Science taken on the position that global warming is some fake bs?

Lets see.
http://www.popsci.com/tags/climate-change
http://www.popsci.com/tags/global-warming

3 Likes

The botanists dug too greedily, and too deep.

8 Likes

Ummm…
The source that you seem to poo poo is Cary Fowler.

5 Likes

Here’s the statement on their plans to mitigate the problem:

Given that Tolkien repeatedly has indicated that he and all English people are ‘Hobbits’ and his descriptions of how Bilbo’s relatives behaved once they thought the adventurer was dead and gone from Bag End, Tolkien fully expected this sort of shit to happen.

4 Likes

“another fetch quest!?”

“well, the prince of new asia won’t give us the keys for unlocking the hydrodam which we need for powering the computer which we need for uncovering the identity of the smuggler who --”

“alright. alright. we’ll get the prince his damn acorn.”

“we just have to hope the seed bank isn’t flooded.”

“damn norwegians…”

2 Likes

Well at least that is an easy fix. Lots of companies do waterproofing for foundations.

ETA
Avocados say “What’s the big deal?”

2 Likes

When we need the seeds, we’ll be able to grow them on Svalbard.

3 Likes

I am still waiting for Jason to publish the addendum that the vault is just fine, it’s only the entrance that is seeing water intrusion. The vault itself is still at -18°C, and is more or less a separate system. If anything, the air pocket traps and other safeguards against water flooding the entry have yet to be tested.

“Flooding is probably not quite the right word to use in this case,” says Cary Fowler, who helped create the seed vault. “In my experience, there’s been water intrusion at the front of the tunnel every single year.”

Source: http://www.popsci.com/seed-vault-flooding?src=SOC&dom=tw

2 Likes

That doesn’t mean he would like it, though. Tolkien was an old style academic.

1 Like