The art of map-making design for tabletop wargames

Originally published at: The art of map-making design for tabletop wargames | Boing Boing

I second OGRE and its sequel G.E.V. I also have TWO copies of Avalon Hill’s Starship Troopers.

I never got that far into the big war table tops. My friends and I never had the week/months that would be required to complete and my ADHD would either turn me into an obsessive or cause me to drop. I have learned to choose what I start carefully these days.

For example, I have tried to collect every version or expansion book for Traveller (also played on hex), thankfully I rarely find caches of them. I still dream of running a campaign in one of the versions.

3 Likes

I had a friend who dedicated his entire dining room to a huge game of OGRE for over a year.

3 Likes

OGRE/G.E.V./Shockwave expansion for the win. Even though they later made miniatures, I still love the old-school design of chits and maps.

Was also a big fan of the old Dwarfstar Games line - most notably Dragon Rage, but also Demon Lord/Star Viking/Goblin etc. I spent hours combing over the maps, the chit data and artwork, and playing with similarly-minded folk. I know Dragon Rage was briefly republished, but it would be nice to see some of these others come back as well.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, my first hex map games were Steve Jackson’s OGRE and Necromancer.

Mine was Avalon Hills Blitzkrieg (which someone I think stole from me?). Though I probably first saw a hex map in a D&D module.

1 Like

I do like how the maps in this Holland 1944 use pretty accurate military map symbols, colors and overall style. Nicely done

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.