The Art of Solidarity: Molly Crabapple and Political Collaboration with Everyday People

Originally published at: The Art of Solidarity: Molly Crabapple and Political Collaboration with Everyday People | Boing Boing

I love this – the opposite of “disaster capitalism”, where society sees a crisis not as an opportunity for more profit (per the neoliberal default) but as a chance to use our creativity to make life better for everyone.

For those who think it’s idealistic utopianism, I’d point to the transformation that happened in the U.S. after one of the most horrific disasters in American history, the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire. In the course of a few decades, with the efforts of activists and individuals people like Frances Perkins, what emerged was the New Deal and a new model for taking care of each-other that only began to go into decline in the 1980s.

In the midst of dystopian doomerism and relentless greed, we also owe it to ourselves to ask what good things might emerge from the ashes when the whole world is engulfed in flames.

5 Likes

No mention of all those years she spent publicly supporting a nazi?

3 Likes

damnit. I really want to like people but it’s a fucking minefield.

3 Likes

I’ll never understand why Weev became such a cause celebre amongst hackers. Naive idealism and anger at AT&T’s unjust persecution can’t explain why Crabapple and Quinn Norton bent over backwards to praise a Nazi who would have quite happily curtailed the free speech of those whom he didn’t consider “ubermenschen” like himself.

3 Likes

I think the Solnit book ‘A Paradise Built in Hell’ covers a lot of this. It’s a great read that I’d recommend, even if I think she pushes evidence that only quasi-supports her case at times as if it’s definitive proof.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.