The average FTSE 100 boss earns as much in 2.5 days as his (yes, his) median employee earns in a year

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/04/the-average-ftse-100-boss-earn.html

2 Likes

Please Define Your Acronyms (PDYA)

4 Likes

I’m willing to bet that the American figures are even worse, without the benefit of (what remains of) a single-payer universal health system.

7 Likes

From Wikipedia: “The Financial Times Stock Exchange 100 Index, also called the FTSE 100 Index, FTSE 100, FTSE, or, informally, the “Footsie” /ˈfʊtsi/, is a share index of the 100 companies listed on the London Stock Exchange with the highest market capitalization.”

I had the same thought but followed it with an “I should google that before I whine.” Turns out it’s a term I’m familiar with just via voice on the radio.

6 Likes

They’re better people. They deserve it.

8 Likes

I’m British and I know what the FTSE 100 is, but I would take more than a few seconds to work out that the Financial Times Stock Exchange 100 Index is the same thing.

I have never heard it referred to as anything other than the FTSE on the news.

2 Likes

Sure thing, having to look up an unfamiliar acronym while already using a computer is the real problem here.

3 Likes

“UK workers’ wages have stagnated year on year, averaging £28,200.”

“At a salary of £1,009/hour, the bosses of corporate Britain make the average worker’s annual wage every two and a half days.”

I don’t understand who would spell this out at an hourly value in this manner?! Would you explain that the average worker who earns £28,200/year, makes “a salary of £3.22/hour”? Of course not, and we’re not even accounting for the fact that it deflates the number, and undermines the articles point by expressing this in such an obtuse manner. It’s just silly.

Well, then it was the Football Thames Southies Euphoria, but they up and incorporated. [No, it wasn’t.]
I’ve seen C-level people rendered as ‘bosses’ four handfuls of times, but it doesn’t make any more sense.
Very nice cool weather cat photos. highpaycentre.org seems prettily reasonable too.

Full-Time Serum Exchangers, Fast Trading Swedish Entities, Feng-Tse Seoul …nope, FOPSI.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.