The basic opsec failures that unmasked James Comey's Twitter show how hard this stuff is

“This stuff is hard”

Is it? There’s an assumption that once created, these internet spaces are going to get occupied by real people, and that it’s not just inevitable, it’s justified.

And given that this is boingboing and that we’re all happy mutants here, it feels like the opposite of preaching to the choir, maybe more like preaching to the traffic…

Are we destined to socialize electronically in the same way that all fossil fuels that are I the ground now, and could potentially be extracted for profit- these fuels destined to be burned?

It’s not like Twitter pollution can be measured I the same way carbon pollution can, I guess people need to want to measure both before a useful metric could be invented.

What I’ve noticed, is that socializing with human beings in real life is hard. Doing it on the web instead seems much easier. But maybe it’s the human being part that makes it hard, and the easy part is about as significant as the ELIZA program was in the 60’s.

Not entirely sure of what to make of his choice of pseudonym, though.

2 Likes

The account is now protected.

What does working to prevent espionage, sabotage, or assassinations have to do with being good at spycraft?

Elaborate recruitment test?

Which means good at finding, not so good at hiding.

That tweet has one like too many…

1 Like

Hold that thought!

Never? Isn’t that like, umm, some kind of anti-clue? Like trying to simulate random nimbers by avoiding clumping because you think that’s how they go, thus revealing their anti-randomness?

1 Like

That’s also a good description of life in general.

Maybe Comey says he “had to get a Twitter” because Google killed Reader.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.