The BBS Cookbook

blinks

Like, Rosa Parks Rosa Parks and not some hideous corporate branding stuff?

Cool. I think I’ve got to.

2 Likes

Yep. The awesome-sauce, worked on the Scottsboro boys case, refused to move on a bus, national hero Rosa Parks. They found it among some of her papers after she passed away and it only recently came to light due to the time it often takes archivist to sort through a set of papers like that.

I tried it, though in waffle form. It makes an excellent waffle, so I’m sure the pancake version is great too. Her secret was peanut butter, which sounds crazy, but it makes them light and tasty.

3 Likes

That’s so awesome. I just love things like this. Seeing the everyday, human side of people who are more often seen as, well, legends.

adds peanut butter to grocery order

1 Like

Peanut butter? Neat.

I had a moment of befuddlement, but realized that’s quite sensible (especially if peanut butter happens to be cheaper than butter): in effect this is like adding some peanut oil and peanut flour to the batter.

I’d only use about 20% of the sugar though…

1 Like

One of my kids LOVES that kind of flapjack…thank you for an easy recipe!

1 Like

Welcome. :slight_smile: I used this recipe for hiking food back when.
Substitute instant oats for some of the porridge oats for texture, add dried fruit and nuts to taste for (un)healthy muesli bars.

1 Like

Well, if you use peanut better fresh ground (with nothing but peanuts), then keep the sugar, I’d say. But if you use off the shelf, it probably has extra sugar in it, so that might make sense.

YMMV, but you might try Mrs Butterworth’s. A lot of my cooking shortcuts come from the bizarre and fun cookbook by Kenny Shopsin, which gives a short order cook’s look at building recipes. His restaurant has a few dozen pancake variants and he admits to using pre-mixed Mrs Butterworth’s as a base rather than mix his own. He mixes it in big batches and refrigerates what’s unused.

1 Like

To those of you on the other side of the pond: as someone who grew up in North America and therefore is an authoritative source on peanut butter, I can tell you that 90% of commercial PB (the kind with the texture of icing) is crap. Smucker’s is where it’s at. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

ETA: The icing-smooth PBs are useful if you want a silken end-product, just don’t expect the best flavor.

2 Likes

Are you kidding? The farmer’s market PB that comes from fresh roasted peanuts is the bee’s knees.

5 Likes

Totally. My advice applies only to commercial PBs.

1 Like

Ah! Fair enough! :wink:

When the kid was at tot we started getting Adams which I now like much better than the sugary smooth stuff (though I still like that too). I realized where my mom got the habit of keeping PB in the fridge.

2 Likes

ActionAbe’s Delicious Excellent Instabatter Adventure

DAY ONE

Today’s task was simple… determine the length of time that it would take to make good ole-fashioned pancakes and see what was most time consuming.

Materials & Apparatus:

1 electric griddle
1 oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
1 sheet pan and several dishtowels
1 Whisk and 2 bowls
1 space-age aerodynamic super awesome flipper.
2 Pre-warmed plates

2 eggs
1.5 cups of AP flour
1.5 cups of skim milk
3 tbs. of margarine
2 tbs. sugar
A couple handfuls of class A storebought blubes.
1.5 tsp of double acting backing powder
1 pinch of salt
1.3 senses of urgency due to having to be on time to stuff

Procedure: Standard muffin method applies. Wet mixed thoroughly in one bowl while dry was integrated in the other. Griddle was preheated to 350 degrees and oven with dishcloth on a tray was preheated to 200 for hot holding. Blubes were on standby. Wet was poured over dry and mixed until the batter was moistened evenly, ten seconds max. Ladles of batter were gently applied to the griddle and blubes were deployed to the surface of the batter swiftly. Standard pancake flipping technique was employed. Bubbles were observed around the edges before flips were executed. Pancakes were stored in oven, swaddled in dishcloth until batter was depleted.

Results: It took me an hour to make breaskfast including scrambled eggs, as feared. Ideally I could bring that down to 20 minutes. A lot of it was mis en place. I haven’t bothered making pancakes in a while and it was new all over again. The recipe was selected because it’s the most basic recipe I can find, and my future instabatter is going to be built on top of it. Buttermilk and other features can be introduced later.

Depsite accenting the pancakes with some delicious maple syrup from our fine neighbors up in Cana- (just read the label) Minessota they were kind of… meh. My guinea pig/housemate disagrees, but she doesn’t know how good pancakes can be if you set your mind to it. She doesn’t know truly great pancakes. That makes me sadgry.

Conclusions: Significant expenditure of time happens in pancake batter prep, and not the actual frying of the delicious syrup transit devices. A better class of guinea pig may be needed.

Next steps: Premixing dry and wet ingredients and storing seperately the night before. Using butter instead of margarine. Potential concerns, weird emulsification/separation issues happening in the wet stage over night.

7 Likes

OMG, that word! Stealing it.

SADGRY!!!

6 Likes

Yes, this. Teddie Peanut Butter is also good, if you can find it, but that’s more of an east coast thing.

It’s super hard to find, but if you ever see Smuckers Ketchup, it’s worth trying. Rich and thick, great flavor.

1 Like

Best to use a frying fat high in saturated fat with no moisture content—fats like palm oil or ghee. This will give you a crispy edge that won’t soften quite as quickly. Unless a soft texture is your goal, in which case use a neutral frying oil high in monounsaturated fat like refined safflower oil, the kind indicated for high-heat. Regular safflower oil is no good.

If I have the time, I’ll do some first-hand research on a yeast-leavened recipe, seeing as I already know from experience that sourdough can be stored in the fridge and remain stable for well over a week. Now that I think about it, you may have to introduce some kind of culture into the batter in order for it to last the week without going bad.

5 Likes

I’ll settle for 3 days in the fridge, but I do prefer light and fluffy. I’m skeptical about bringing fungus into this. I don’t mean to sound like a bigot, but you can’t trust fungus. They colonize, have babies, and are alcoholic. But if you can wrangle useful work out of them, I suppose there’s no call stopping you.

7 Likes

7 Likes

The kind of yeast that feast (rhyming fun! Join me!) on Triticale sp. produce mostly CO2. You’d have to let the dough ferment a while, and with sufficient moisture, before you’d get ethanol (except for barley, which is the drunkard of the Triticale genus).

Wild fermentation uses a symbiotic culture of naturally-occurring airborne yeasts and bacteria; it’s the latter that generates most of the organic acids that give sourdough its characteristic tang. These bacteria become critical when the bulk of the batter/dough is a Triticale species low in gluten such as rye, whose leavened structure relies mainly on starch rather than gluten.

Yeast-leavened flapjacks in the Slavic region such as the Russian blini use buckwheat, which doesn’t have any gluten, so these recipes necessarily rely on wild ferments.

2 Likes