The best and worst fonts to use on your resumé, according to "typography wonks"

From your second link:

Origin of ROBOT

Czech, from robota compulsory labor; akin to Old High German arabeit trouble, Latin orbus orphaned — more at orphan
First Known Use: 1922

I’ve been using Comic Sans this entire time… Who woulda thought?

1 Like

Yes, I did read my own link. The word’s roots definitely involve labor and/or laborers. However, the word “robot” as originally used by Čapek referred to artificially created, synthetic laborers. The word as presently defined by Merriam-Webster involves machinery. I feel that being artificially created, whether through synthetics or machinery, prevents one from being accurately described as a simple laborer.

I’m with you, but I do so enjoy being a pedant. And besides, in my line of work, it’s the details that will kill you. So to me, there IS a difference between font and typeface.

Edited to add: Hydrofluoric acid, hydrochlororic acid. Acid, schmacid, right?

I once went to a job interview not wearing a tie. On purpose. If they wouldn’t hire me just because of that, it’s not the place I would want to work for and I’d want to find out right away.

I’ve been with them for sixteen years now. The longest stretch anywhere so far.

The upper one is Helvetica.

1 Like

can you build a randomised font? e.g. transpose glyphs for the letters? so that code point 0x41 which is logical ‘A’ renders as ‘M’, code point 0x42 which is logical ‘B’ renders as ‘N’, etc. to create ROT13(Helvetica) as a font in it’s own right?

I do two or three resumes. One is to feed the machines, and it is in plain text format, with Arial. There is no special formatting, no bullets. It is in a completely chronological, even when it doesn’t make that much sense for a human to read it this way.

The next is for email, and that is also in Arial in Word and it also uses a fairly generic format. This is for headhunters or HR departments, who often want to edit out contact information.

The last is a PDF version that I can email or bring with me to an interview. I designed it in InDesign with appropriate spacing and leading. It is strictly for human eyes and nicely formatted, using an attractive font that is not Arial or Helvetica but not bizarre. It is in two columns on the page where I list my positions and accomplishments, with my education in an inset box.

2 Likes

SLOW. GOLF. CLAP.

(My body is an invalid again. sigh. Thanks Jeff Atwood)

Yeah man, you could make this font easily… after a little googling I found Times New Rot13: http://scruss.com/blog/2012/08/24/times-new-rot13-and-times-new-caesar/

In any font editing/creation program you just assign whatever glyph/shape to the associated field for that letter and you’re ready to go. Would be quite difficult to quickly decode because if you tried to copy+paste it the system would be seeing different letters to your visual perception. You’d have to OCR and then decode.

PS another one using DejaVu Serif and Sans http://eligrey.com/blog/post/rot13-dejavu-fonts/

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.