The best Bruce Lee interview of all time

It’s a great book. Vijay Prashad has done some great work…

2 Likes

Slightly off-topic, but I love (and own) the Ip Man series on Blu-Ray. I don’t usually care for martial arts movies, unlike our host @dnealy, but I found these to be jaw dropping in their portrayal of Mr. Ip, the grand master who taught Bruce Lee.

3 Likes

I misread that as Yorkshire Aikido; a challenger for Ecky-thump’s title as the pre-eminent Northern Martial Arts style?

Looking for this image, I was forcibly reminded about the prevalence of Black-face in English popular media of the time. :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

From the chanting service pamphlet of my local Zen center:

The highest motive is to be like water; water is necessary to all living things;
it asks nothing in return,
rather it flows humbly to the lowest level.

Nothing is weaker than water,
yet against those things which are strong and hard, nothing can surpass it nor stand in its way.
May we all learn the way of water.

2 Likes

Evidently written by Stirling Silliphant who, as a student of Bruce Lee’s, probably was wise enough merely to paraphrase Lee’s own words back to him as his Longstreet character’s dialogue. Now it is remembered as something Bruce Lee actually formulated himself.

His “performance” in the interview is so much better, and looks so much cooler in black and white, its no wonder that was the version that “went viral”

1 Like

Who wins between Ecky Thump and Ti Kwan Leap?

2 Likes

Mr Berton always was a good interviewer, and he may well have found his best ever subject in Mr Lee.

1 Like

And also were set in San Diego. After seeing so, so many shows set in New York, Chicago, and LA, it was great to see a “hometown” show.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.