The best nonsense word generator

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/20/the-best-nonsense-word-generat.html

A truly excially, doubiniating find. Most frayful unquions to you, good sir.

Bunch of twattanatolery, if you ask me.

Please, everybody knows that alcohol is the best nonsense word generator, because flubiontion blubbred thungsit. Amitite?

Soybomb?

This made me remember a wonderful article I read as a kid about the challenge of translating Jabberwocky into other languages. I think this was it:

EDIT: Aha I really should read before I post. Yes, it’s from Godel, Escher, Bach, a book I loved as a teen.

I think my company’s corporate PR department may be using that site for real.

Do you still love it? Unrelated to this article, I’ve been considering reading it for my research.

What the hell is going on in that picture… I can’t tell if Bob Dylan looks amused or confused?

I’m sure that’s exactly what Dylan thought.

This also seems appropriate for naming the Pokemon my kids dream up.

When I tried to go vegetarian I switched from ordering the Steak Bomb sub to the Soy Bomb sub at the local sandwich shop.

And that was the end of my vegetarian phase.

Oh yes but I haven’t read it in years. I don’t think it’s good source material, it’s too fun, but it’s great for generating ideas.

Nobody remembers Sniglets?

Everyone knows kids are the best nonsense word generators. My son gave these to the world:
• zong, “a tiny shirt a mouse can wear”
• hoff, “a hammer that only has one side”
• fompa, “a salad that’s a toy”

Now you don’t have to go crazy trying to figure out what to call those things.

This page generates nonsense words…

confer, honing…

Oops. The developer forgot to include a dictionary check.

I wonder how many people will proclaim a word from that site is “nonsense” despite the word appearing in most dictionaries.

I still use several sniglets, including “frust” and “lactomangulation” – the latter only a few days ago when I struggled with a small carton of heavy cream.

This page generates nonsense words based on a frequency list of phonemes as they occur in legitimate English words. Occasionally an actual word may show up but it should mostly generate pronounceable gibberish.

Many years ago I used to test each new version of Word with Jabberwocky. Bizarrely in those days it didn’t recognize “'Twas” as a word so I’d get “It was brimming and the slimy times/Did gore and gamble in the wage…”

I like to think that when this happens, the words are not actual words but homonyms with their own nonsense etymology.

Confer noun
A disappointingly soft chestnut.

Honing noun
The tone and manner of a down-to-earth yet wise middle-aged waitress who is about to explain it to you.