The best songs about depression written from the perspective of a cat

Originally published at: The best songs about depression written from the perspective of a cat | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I haven’t had an addiction. But I do have depression. My cat, Joule, saved my life in college. My spouse calls “Plea from a cat named Virtute” her song. Because for me, she was that cat. Though in my case I pulled through the worst without her needing to leave. I’m not sure she would have left, no matter how bad things got.
And now I’m crying. She lived 18 years. Died 5 years ago. I still miss her. I’ll have to wait to listen to the other Virtute songs after work. I didn’t know about them. Thanks @thomdunn

11 Likes
6 Likes

Thom, really enjoyed that post.

Have I been reading the cat’s name incorrectly all these years? Yes I have. “Virtute” it is.

Kii, that was touching.

4 Likes

Ha! Me too!
TIL

2 Likes

IIRC, the original pressing of “Reconstruction Site” actually misprinted the song title as “Virtue The Cat” rather than “Virtute.” JKS has said that Virtute’s name actually comes from the official city motto of Winnipeg, “Unum Cum Virtute Multorum” — one with the strength of many.

4 Likes

Well, that’s One Great City.

4 Likes

I believe the first mention of Virtute is actually in “Confessions of a Futon-Revolutionist”, from the Weakerthans’ Fallow.

3 Likes

I hadn’t connected that as being the same Virtute! Fun fact: all of my writing and music work is technically registered under Futon Revolutionists, LLC.

4 Likes

Nice! I think my partner told me about the mention. We’re Winnipeggers and cat lovers and John K. fans, and she is friends with people connected to the band.

3 Likes

I was chatting with a fellow parent at my kid’s daycare the other day. I knew he was from Toronto, and I realized we had been at the same Frank Turner concert in Boston over the weekend. Last time I saw John K Samson was opening for Frank Turner in Boston in 2019, so I asked the fellow dad if he was a fan of the Weakerthans. As soon as I mentioned it, we both said at the same time, “I/you’re Canadian.”

1 Like

It probably won’t surprise you that we’re big Frank Turner fans too.

1 Like

I’ve loved him since I saw him at a basement show in New Haven in 2008!

It wouldn’t surprise me if you and my partner have been at some of the same shows. She’s usually down front with a few of her friends.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.