The biggest threat to privacy? Your own family

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/06/the-biggest-threat-to-privacy.html

7 Likes

You just need to hire an actor to show up and scare the crap out of them, you know… as a lesson.

17 Likes

DNA-based health and ancestry kits are a pretty big breach as well. Everybody around me has done one of these and so these services know quite a bit about me even without running my DNA through their machines.

20 Likes

No, it’s not.

9 Likes

Looks to me that also younger people in the famili could make the same error. My parents are boomers. Dad has just bought a new PC with Windows 10 64, i have set up for him, last problem is to reinstall Word Perfect, I have to find the original CD and license. Never using Facebook, on the other hand youtube… But it doesn’t post anything. My mom has an old iPad and uses is only for browsing, email and the like.

4 Likes

I see this argument in the “JUSTNO” family of subreddits, which are support subs for folks with difficult family to the point of abuse sometimes.

I see mothers trying to keep their kids pictures offline all the time, and MIL’s that just don’t get it, and feel entitled to post whatever they want with out considering the repercussions.

6 Likes

The craptastic design of Facebook and other social media services that doesn’t allow tech-challenged users (like a lot of olds) to easily compartmentalise their on-line identities is also part of the problem. For most elderly people on these platforms, a random scammer can gain the same “Friend” status as a family member.

I don’t have any kids, but I long ago checked my elderly mother’s computer and filing cabinet for any sensitive personal info about myself and cleared them out. She’s an easy mark for scammers as it is, and my sister and I already have enough on our hands worrying about protecting her info from predators without having to worry about her handing over ours, too.

19 Likes

Was thinking this could put a different spin on a Taken sequel or Lifetime movie. The root of the problem is people who are “over-sharers.” I’ve never understood what compels them to give every detail of their lives (and the lives of their loved ones) to complete strangers. They seem to be incapable of harmless small talk focused on general subjects, or resisting the bait that unscrupulous people use to fish for information.

9 Likes

I very rarely post myself, and pictures i post even less and honestly i’m kind of mystified that some people have things to post about on a regular basis. Even when i do get to do cool shit i only share a very small portion of it but most of the time i don’t post anything at all.

4 Likes

Being a parent who never posted a pic on social media, but who doesn’t fret about my kid getting photographed at school outings: no one gives a shist about these kids, unless they are relatives with an agenda.

5 Likes

I saw a security export on a show call up the hosts mom and go, “Hey mom real quick, I’m filling out this medical form for work, I’m having a brain fart, what’s my social security number?”

And with a little more prompting she gave it.

“Thanks mom, love you.” click.

5 Likes

Is that Laura Linney?

There’s many reasons why people might not want their kids’ pics online, everyone’s circumstances are very different. Could be an spiteful ex, but i have heard of instances of pictures of random people’s kids being used for memes without their knowledge and i also recall of some overseas companies stealing pics of kids and using them in advertising also without their knowledge or consent. Lastly there is a lively scene of creeps online collecting pictures of kids.

But even if nothing were to happen to the pictures the wishes of the parents is what’s important. If they don’t want pictures floating out there of their family then relatives need to respect that.

7 Likes

Oh, I have a few professional blabber mouths in my family, sad.

2 Likes

The biggest threat to privacy? Your own family

Picture of waving bunny …assholes…not…again…

3 Likes

Fucking Boomers. I’m so done with them. Any generation that thinks it’s kosher to drive with the AC on full blast with the windows down can’t be expected to handle anything modern in an effective way.

1 Like
6 Likes

[emphasis added]

That’s not actually in the article.

FB strips the EXIF location data out of photos, so sharing photos on FB doesn’t share the location with the public (though FB may keep the location metadata data for itself).

Accidental sharing of photo location metadata is a real thing, of course, but not through FB.

1 Like

Two biggest threats to privacy enter, one biggest threat to privacy leaves…

4 Likes

I wonder where they find the time. I tried reading posts from family and friends once a week. It was impossible to scroll through all that content. Because I’ve been busy with projects, I haven’t looked at it in over a month, and dread what awaits me…

2 Likes