The bizarre internet mystery of an Avril Lavigne song that doesn't exist

I think the Ordinance Survey are who the Ordnance Survey call in to deal with people who fuck with them. There will always be some obscure law that they will have broken.

2 Likes

Even weirder is that she looks like this:

She’s got that “keanu reeves” not aging very quickly thing going on…

1 Like

Lots of people don’t start to ‘show their age’ until after 40.

I’ll give her “Keanu status” if she still looks like that at 45.

1 Like

That reminds me of this episode of Reply All: The Case of the Missing Hit. Where they track down the memory of a song they’re not sure if it ever existed.

3 Likes

I would hope not since they’re going after others for doing it. Genius recently sued Google for taking their lyrics. They encoded morse code using different apostrophes to track it.

3 Likes

That reminds me of this episode of Reply All: The Case of the Missing Hit. Where they track down the memory of a song they’re not sure if it ever existed.

That was an amazing piece of investigation, thanks for sharing it :slight_smile:

Honestly, this podcast reminds me of a song I downloaded from a service similar to napster back in the 2000s; it was a sort of pop song that I liked and I tried to get more info (as the ID3 tags were non existant) on the internet to no avail. Last time I tried (around 2010) I even tried to do a soundmatch with one of the apps of the time. It remains in my vault of “lost misteries” forever.

2 Likes

I imagine this as a sub-plot in a Laundry novel.

1 Like

It’s a new Department set up by the New Management to ensure rituals are being carried out correctly.

from Imgflip Meme Generator

2 Likes

Sometimes designers/publishers/distribution companies will have certain layout expectations for lyrics, too. I don’t put any of my music out on physical media right now, but I hate that iTunes/Spotify/etc have an official “format” that my lyrics have to adhere to in order to be accepted. They dictate punctuation, capitalization, repetition, “yeahs”, etc. It ruins the god damn poetry!

1 Like

This episode was so freakin’ good.

Well if it’s any consolation, there is a fine song called Dolphins that does exist. Here’s Tim Buckley from 1974:

And skipping forward to 2005, and Eddi Reader name-checks Fred Neil.

Sometimes in the olden days there were handwritten lyrics as liner notes.
(Neil Young, Harvest)

1 Like

Really? I ran into it pretty frequently, both as a consumer and when I worked in a used record store. It is usually not huge, just a line or two. Sometimes it is based on an earlier version, sometimes it is just weird formatting eating the end of lines or stanzas.

I can’t figure out how to get my lyrics onto those sites at all; cd baby doesn’t offer (to the best of my knowledge) an option to upload them when distributing tunes.

I use DistroKid! Although I’m not sure why the Instagram synced lyrics stopped working…

I’m used to this phenomenon in my family (whole lot of asians), but not with white celebrities (ref. Lindsay Lohan…)

2 Likes

*lolz @ “age 120”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.