This neural net generates bizarre music with vocals of famous singers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/01/this-neural-net-generates-biza.html

2 Likes

I would be impressed with this if only the voices didn’t sound like really crappy UTAU banks recorded with a microphone bought at Five Below (sorry, I can be a bit of a snob sometimes when it comes to synthetic voices).

1 Like

It’s got nothing on David Cope’s Musical AI “Emily Howell”

Nothing like a computer educated at the hand of a pro… :thinking:

1 Like

I thought the faux-Elvis song had gibberish-word lyrics, but seeing the lyrics at the site, it’s weirder and more hilarious than that. Seems like the lyrics on that one got generated from a pretty wide range of sources. Some of these are uncanny - the lyrics sound just like real pop music lyrics. Sure, they don’t really make sense, but neither does the source material, usually. Although they say the lyrics were co-written by the OpenA.I. researchers, so I’m not sure what that means - though it probably explains why the lyrics aren’t total nonsense.

2 Likes

Oh, so it sounds like mumble rap to you.

1 Like
2 Likes

Fascinating stuff. There are hundreds more here, numerous artists spanning all genres, and some unexpected mashups (Simon and Garfunkel + Joe Bonamassa anyone?)

Some are uncannily like the artist they purport to be, others not so much. I’ve seen the same lyrics set crop up across multiple bands and genres.

You could spend hours going through them all. This one made me wonder if their training sets got mixed up…

2 Likes

That’s like typing “If you are human, come in here so I can see you” to a Turing test. I think this does a pretty good imitation of a poorly-tuned local radio station. If I was on the A303 on that bit past Stonehenge where all the stations pack up, I would happily listen to this stuff. I’d give it a pass. Not a good pass, but a pass.

1 Like

The posted song is difficult to comprehend, but the other songs are pretty clear, and they all have the lyrics written. E.g.:

Don’t you know it’s gonna be alright
Let the darkness fade away
And you, you gotta feel the same
Let the fire burn
Just as long as I am there
I’ll be there in your night
I’ll be there when the
condition’s right
And I don’t need to
Call you up and say
I’ve changed
You should stay
You should stay tonight

Which doesn’t really distinguish it from the vapid nonsense that is most pop lyrics.

2 Likes

There’s an AI down the computer labs swears he’s Elvis.

I like that. I don’t know what it is about; buts it’s got a good beat.

@Shuck Those lyrics are like pure, linguistic chaos; Word Slaad.

1 Like

Which makes them pure pop, from the plane of Limbo.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.