A song composed by artificial intelligence in the style of the Beatles

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/20/a-song-composed-by-artificial.html

1 Like

Hopefully they will have the computer generate a few billion songs and copyright all of them, thus killing the music industry.

16 Likes

Sounds quite a bit like the Pernice Brothers?

3 Likes

Nope, I’m not hearing the Beatles. A little bit of vocaloid Beach Boys maybe.

14 Likes

Sounds more like the Rutles to me, but not as funny.

14 Likes

Remind me never to get on an elevator ever again.

12 Likes

It sounds like Muzak and The Beatles had a baby. And not a particularly attractive or lively baby. No one can definitively say who the baby resembles most, however, having gotten a bit of the worst from both parents, though its awkward ungainliness is curiously endearing and it will doubtless become a YouTube sensation and achieve slightly more than the 15 minutes of fame usually allotted for similarly cute contrivances.

8 Likes

they might be giants, crossed with Ben Folds Five and a little bit of beach boys with crap lyrics.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s a nocebo effect, but somehow the song grates on me…it’s just lacking something.

5 Likes

Beatles? No.

This sounds like it could be one of Andy Partridge’s throwaways. (See also: Nonesuch, XTC (1992))

6 Likes

“I guess you guys aren’t ready for that yet. But your kids are gonna love it.”

– Marty McFly, laying out the harsh truth.

18 Likes

You beat me to it… oh now I am hearing a bit of later era Beatles but more of a mash of the two. Also nice but kinda forgettable.

8 Likes

The Monkees were actually an AI?

7 Likes

‘The first-ever entire songs composed by Artificial Intelligence’? Sounds doubtful. I remember a Scientific American article in the 70s mentioning computer music composed in the style of Bach or Mozart and there are tons of examples since, including mention of an additional Mozart symphony. It would be interesting to see which composers are the hardest to copy…

6 Likes

Compose as many songs in as many styles possible and then use that body of work as the new source for the one true master song.

2 Likes

I’m not convinced. I mean little bits and pieces (especially the opening few seconds) were bang on, but the rest could pass as pretty much any generic Brit-pop from the 60s through to today. @Spinkter’s comparisons to XTC really nailed it.

The Beatles evolved their style and sound through every album both as they matured as artists and with the times as well. Because of that, it’s also disappointing to see basically no evolution of their sound taken into consideration.

What would be really spectacular is if AI was used to figure out what the Beatles of today would sound like (spoiler: it would be produced by Skrillex.)

4 Likes

Meh, an amazing machine already did AI-based compositions all the way back in 1984. :stuck_out_tongue:
Electric Dreams Composition Scene

Once the “soda pop” song is done, keep watching for 3 more minutes to hear one of the best (and little-known) Culture Club songs of all time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It would sound something like Laibach’s cover of Queen’s One Vision I would imagine.

8 Likes

It’s like an avocado had sex with an older, more disgusting avocado. Not gently. Like it was hate-fucking. There was something wrong with the relationship and that was the only catharsis that they could find without violence.

8 Likes

Seems more like The Dukes Of Stratosphear pushed though Owl City.

3 Likes