Check out the "Almost Beatles" songs created by human musicians and AI

Originally published at: Check out the "Almost Beatles" songs created by human musicians and AI | Boing Boing

1 Like

Okay, now do some “Almost Ruttles,” please.

More funny.

3 Likes

Thank you! I came here just to ask that as well. Almost Bonzo Dog Band?

5 Likes

Yes, I was listening. You had me at “I’m just a child of nature. I don’t need birds to set me free.”

1 Like

1 Like

I wonder if music is more representative of / stimulative towards human emotion, and thus an AI-generated piece of music inherently lacks the fact that a human chose to arrange things in a certain way for a reason. Whereas AI art at least can evoke that uncanny valley terror of “this is definitely what I asked for and yet it’s completely wrong and makes my skin crawl”. There’s been procedural music for as long as there have been procedures, enough that it’s kind of its own genre in a way.

There is a youtuber who creates procedurally generated (djenterated?) djent metal, and it sounds exactly like instrumental djent created by humans. It’s also just about as emotionally meaningless. I’m a metalhead and I like djent and “we have meshuggah at home without a singer” just sounds kind of technically interesting / groovy. It doesn’t hit you.

1 Like

The first song is basically the melody to Jealous Guy and it’s pretty haunting and not very good at all. It’s like what a confused ghost would sing if we could hear them. It’s all disjointed and hollow without the original spark

2 Likes

This profusion of alternate reality versions of what someone could have written puts me in mind of a certain object dreamed up by Terry Pratchett:

I would note that in that story, the huge flow of non-real copies it generated killed the organisation that created it.

1 Like

I’ll take “Lies” by The Knickerbockers, thank you.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.