The brutal physics of the "milk crate challenge"

Crates are too hard and pointy to safely land on, and our natural impulse to jump clear is stymied with nothing to laterally push off of.

BTW Costco started selling foldable crates. They are nowhere near as strong as milk crates but they stack well up to human height and there is a certain satisfaction in not possessing stolen property.

5 Likes

My take on this is that possessing a milk crate does not even rise to the level of Grand Theft.

It’s like people getting hopped up and armed about “illegals” in the country, when overstaying your visa or crossing outside of a border checkpoint is a simple misdemeanor.

6 Likes

It’s not all that hard. You just need to buy them where businesses buy them. Both Uline and Grainger sell them online and some restaurant supply stores carry them.

5 Likes

Yeah, when the crates start heading sideways, it looks damn hard to get clear of them before you hit the ground.

Would love to see a follow up explainer video showing the best way to FAIL the milk crate challenge without getting wrecked.

5 Likes

The family that owns Uline is rather fascish, if that’s a concern for you.

Be the camera operator.

5 Likes

Which is why I also mentioned Grainger. That’s pretty much the two companies where practically everyone get’s that sort of shit.

Kinda the problem with Uline. Even if you do find them at a restaurant store or something, chances are they got it from Uline.

5 Likes

Get yourself to a salvage yard. The odd vintage one will show up at charity/used shops as well. I think I’ve probably got a dozen or so legally obtained milk crates on the property right now, all from either of those two sources. Most are the durable, non bendy plastic, but we have a few of the old wire dairy gold crates too.

If you don’t want to search, or need a matching set, the container store frequently stocks a modern copy with the right dimensions and look but with none of the banged up charm. Still does the trick if you need a legally obtained milk crate in a pinch.

2 Likes

Beware the ire of big dairy.

2 Likes

Beer crates and PPE against falls.

7 Likes

Stay Safe Take Care GIF by Sompo Singapore

4 Likes

I wouldn’t know, Maggie stole mine before I could get it.

9 Likes

I don’t know why this video discusses buckling. The failure mode of the crates in this dumb challenge is not buckling. Total red herring.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.