The case for breaking up Disney

That’s exactly why it’s likely to end with a small handful of surviving streaming platforms controlling the vast majority of the content people see, just as a small number of powerful networks controlled the vast majority of what people watched on television.

1 Like

i see your point that there are big media companies controlling the main channels of entertainment and information. it’s never not been true.

it’s interesting to me, not only because the revenue model is back to being more newspapery or magaziney instead of like the television of yore, but also because eyes are watching our every view and correlating that with all our other daily activities.

i think the “problem” is it that it will eat itself and the quality will drop again, be filled with ads, and cost a leg and an arm

so in some ways things are the same - big companies making big money - and yet so much is radically different.

1 Like

On the general topic of monopoly through the years, I thought what Matt Stoller had to say here was really interesting and compelling. Would love to see CD do a post on his book, etc.

Try reading books instead of watching video entertainment. Virtually everyone has access to a public library, and it’s free.

Disney acquired Maker Studios, not Maker Media.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.