The charley horse from Hell -- why you should work at a standing desk

I wish you’d all stop bickering, and eat me.

2 Likes

I think it’s a pseudonym for Sir Les Patterson…

point Percy at the porcelein

1 Like

The theory is that many metabolic and circulatory problems are down to chronically (slightly) high blood sugar, which low level activity helps to alleviate. Standing is better than sitting. Walking is better than standing. The weight issue is a bit of a red herring in the context of this.

Clearly, as seems to be universal in this area, the conclusions are not complete, but one thing that is clear is that sitting all day is a very recent phenomenon (<100 years for the majority) to which we’ve had no time to evolve. I for one am keen not to negatively select myself.

1 Like

Reading any American Health story is bad for my blood pressure. Growing up in the UK, I can’t help but get annoyed at any country that fails to provide its citizens with a quality public health service. Unfortunately, our current crop of parasites in Wasteminster seem hellbent on introducing American style “health care” to our country. This is just another symptom of their psychopathic world view.

Treadmill desks would be cool.

1 Like

I could use one too. I have a complaining back which is fine if I walk, but will not put up with standing still for very long. If I could switch from standing to sitting every 20 mins or so that’d probably work well. As it is, I either tip my chair back far enough (to scare the safety brigade :slight_smile: ) to take the weight off my lower spine or take a short walk thru cube-hell at regular short intervals.

1 Like

Cool!

From the Amazon advert, “This item will be visible when delivered. Sorry, we are unable to conceal it.” :smiley:

A year or so ago, Cory was in the ‘‘WSJ’’ and described how he built one himself. Apparently a recurring theme around here.

1 Like

I developed plantar fasciitis while using a standing desk.

Yeah, yeah, all this and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.

Remember this guy:

Oh right, no one remembers these types of stories, because it’s too hard to research what happens when you choose a stand up desk. Well what is it? Sitting is killing us, standing is killing us, working is killing us, ebola can kill us, what about the guy standing at a bus stop that got killed waiting for a bus? So we shouldn’t take the bus now because of 1 person’s experience.

I get it, it’s a testimonial, written to sell books and shine light on a problem.

However, the article stated the person was overweight, and wasn’t following protocol to take more breaks, and was deliberately doing things that would line up with the issue that ended up coming through.

So what is it? Stand up, sit down, or am I going to die and get this very specific type of issue because I’m a writer? Should I just go get a hammock and type from there, oh wait, I’ll die that way too. So tired of this irrational fear being pushed through any outlet I read.

Oh and Boing Boing admi, I keep getting a “users can only put 2 links in a post” when I tried to cite sources. Way to go.

2 Likes

So, you want to know what it is all about?
Let me tell you about my simple and fun 10 step plan to workplace fitness:

(original image from National Post – no longer available.)

3 Likes

Here’s a nice sofer’s desk suitable for transcribing Torahs etc.

This page also has circumcision supplies.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.