The classic 'Electronic Football' re-issue

I had the passing football one and the Battlestar Galactica one.

Little Lord Fauntleroy over here.

4 Likes

Galaxian was my Cadillac game.

4 Likes

The football one got old fast as it was too easy, but the auto race one required serious hand-eye coordination at higher speeds.

1 Like

No worries - the two aren’t that closely related.

My brother and I wore out the football, baseball, and basketball ones. Then we got a different baseball one one Christmas that was an actual 2 player game. I think this was my favorite.

1 Like

Wow that is amazing for the time (1981)

3 Likes

Yep. It actually was quite challenging to try to get the best time possible. I remember you’d want to hit 4th gear as fast as humanly possible once the game started, then it was a minute or two of utter focus. My first experience of being in the gaming “zone”.

I grew up pre-electronic. We had these things:

6 Likes

I just had the Battlestar Galactica one. I discovered that if you put it in the freezer for an hour, it played much faster, and was thus (slightly) more challenging. Still, the sequence of Cylon projectiles was fixed, so you could always ace it after a few weeks.

BEEP-boop. BEEPboopBEEPboopBEEPboop.

1 Like

My original, single owner* vintage copies of Electronic Football and Electronic Baseball still work, if you put in a 9V battery. I have a re-release Electronic Baseball and it seems exactly the same, other than the color of the case.

*Does it still count as single owner if these were probably technically bought for my dad but I ended up with them? I played with them from when they arrived in our house.

Any ideas on how much the internals differ? I would be inclined to think there must be something available today that is cheaper than what they used originally. Would they go so far as to use a custom IC?

just guessing but since all these games are pretty much the same, and given the vintage, there’s probably a ROM in each one that’s got the “firmware”, and that’s the part that differs. also given the vintage it would be very interesting to find out if they did make their own IC. thru-hole TTL parts at the time were quite large so i feel like there’s not enough room inside for all the logic.

If this is the same as the 2000 re-release, beware that apparently it had an LED-backlit LCD instead of the LED display of the original.

Sadly, I’m not correct - Wikipedia says it’s a Casio watch.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.