I loved me some "Gnip Gnop"

Originally published at: I loved me some "Gnip Gnop" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Here’s me being surprised that Ted and co didn’t declare you a cheater, and have you “removed stochiastically” or just arrested.

Also I wouldn’t want a Pinochet cup within 50 meters of my house.

2 Likes

egads, just as that memory was about to lose its final wearied synapse, you have to go and haul it back in.

8 Likes

It took me years to realize that the words “Gnip Gnop” were simply the words “Ping Pong” in reverse. :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

These kinds of games seem designed to break: plastic that gameplay demands you pound on relentlessly.

The fact that I never come across Gnip-Gnop or Rock Em Sock Em Robots in thrift stores might confirm this.

2 Likes

Or perhaps they are so treasured folks just don’t want to give them up? I loved Gnip Gnop, and would have gifted it to my kids if I had them, or my own game of Gnip Gnop, for that matter. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Holy smokes. As of today, it took me 55 years to realize that. In fairness though, I probably haven’t thought about Gnip Gnop for at least 30 of those years.

4 Likes

I forgot out about that game, I remember playing it. I also remember having this game, a combination electronic and mechanical stupid game but we played it a lot.

6 Likes

i loved BLIP! it was in that weird spot between mechanical games and digital. it had a diode, but it was a wind-up and the light moved with gears. great game.

4 Likes

Same. I had completely forgotten this game existed until this post, and I had no idea it was ping pong backwards until just now. I think I need a minute.

3 Likes

Except, and this always bugged me, “Gnip Gnop” in reverse is “Pong Ping”…

1 Like

I was right-now-years-old when I learned this

Always wanted a Gnip Gnop…

2 Likes

So we’re all thinking about starting a Boing Boing Gnip Gnop league!?!

2 Likes

Ditto

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be a Gniob Gniob Gnip Gnop league?

4 Likes

The Gnip-Gnop ad loomed large in my childhood. My brothers and i would frequently describe any given problem as, “while you’re gnipping, he’s gnopping.”

4 Likes
2 Likes

I think we had Gnip Gnop; if not, friends had it - I certainly remember playing it. Man, that was like 50 years ago.

Old friends who lived in a maaassive house in Detroit’s historic Indian Village neighborhood had kids w/great toys, inc Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots.

We didn’t have Blip, but mom got us Telstar, so we played Pong and its exciting variants tophat-biggrin tophat-cool

In my experience, one robot in rock’em sock’em would have a head much easier to trigger than the other. (One of the plastic teeth rounded off?) It didn’t make for very fair contests when you might be able to knock their block off just with the shock of a vigorous punch transmitted through the frame, without the arm even connecting.

1 Like

Keep posting these dreams! They are insight into a future that’s not what it seems!

“Gnip Gnop… you think you got that real hip-hop?” Dr.Octagon - Real Raw - YouTube

3 Likes