The contentious rock in the middle of the ocean

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink…

3 Likes

There is a fantastic travelogue about the Shipping Forecast, and it has a section on Rockall that goes into a lot of the details

2 Likes

You live in the least populous municipality in Norway? Cool!

No, I can’t claim that. Utsira, the municipality in question has given its name to the two entire regions of Utsire in the Shipping Forecast. The coast of those encompasses quite a few more populated municipalities. Just like someone living in Fastnet doesn’t necessarily live in the lighthouse on Fastnet Rock but anywhere on the Irish South Coast…

4 Likes

Thank you for the explanation.

1 Like

I suggest that we give it to any country that promises not to drill for fossil fuel.

Simple.

7 Likes

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

4 Likes

“The resolution had the side effect of giving Canada and Denmark a land border with each other”

6 Likes

I was going to suggest it as an oubliette for our last 5 PMs. As space becomes available it could be opened up to other world leaders.

3 Likes

It’s hollow, after all.

4 Likes

The article seems to claim that Rockall has midnight sun, I doesn’t, the map clearly show it being further south than the northern tip of Scotland.

3 Likes

but maybe it’s much taller… :thinking:

This popped into my head. Who loves rocks, his mom, that’s who.

My mama loves me, she loves me
She get down on her knees and hug me
Like she loves me like a rock
She rocks me like the rock of ages and loves me
She love me, love me, love me, love me

1 Like

As usual I have no idea what is going on here. I had not heard of the tradition of listening to British maritime weather radio by landlubbers.

Canada and the US have similar broadcasts on VHF WX stations. Listening in at any time of day, and I’d be nodding off within a minute.

At least I now understand the tradition behind the regions Bowie and Explorer off the coast of BC. Later I’ll explore the rest of the North American regions.

https://ocean.weather.gov/marine_areas.php

1 Like

There is a clue further up in the thread, but I’m not going to ruin the joke by explaining it.

1 Like

These are my tea mugs:

(In case it isn’t clear from the photo, they’re a map of the shipping forecast areas)

3 Likes

Cool!

You can now walk from Canada to Denmark, without any fancy Google Maps trickery.

2 Likes

not to be confused with

nor

though it could be like shipping shipping i guess.

3 Likes

3 Likes