The contentious rock in the middle of the ocean

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/14/the-contentious-rock-in-the-middle-of-the-ocean.html

3 Likes

Hopefully it won’t lead to shots.

25 Likes

The newsletter, The Rockall Times (tagline: “There’s fuckall on Rockall”) still has a website, although sadly no longer active.

https://www.therockalltimes.co.uk/

13 Likes

With any luck it will just sink back into the sea.

17 Likes

As a kid in England long ago, the word “Rockall” was heard iirc on the weather forecast. Had no idea what it was or meant until now.

7 Likes

The Chinese government has done much more to lay claim to bits of rock.

9 Likes

“Dogger, Fisher, German Bight…” :hugs:

There is something about the pronunciation of North Utsire and South Utsire that makes me wince. :thinking::man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Colour me surprised. I thought it was all about cod.

Bored Gone Fishing GIF

7 Likes

As The Register used to put it - There’s fuck-all on Rockall. But there might be lots of oil and gas around it.

Iceland had an equally contentious claim on a part of the Greenland Sea based on a group of uninhabitable rocks called Kolbeinsey off the north coast of the country. It used them to draw part of Iceland’s 200 mile exclusive economic zone that would otherwise have belonged to Greenland. This caused quite a lot of friction between Reykjavîk and Copenhagen, even more so when the Icelanders put a concrete helicopter platform on the rocks. Fortunately, being sensible nordic types, they came to an agreement in 1997 where Iceland got 30% of the area and Greenland the other 70%.

The helicopter pad has since fallen into the ocean.

10 Likes

Lester Haines who ran the site was once planning to go for the record of living on the rock; sadly it never came to pass.

Lester died a few years ago after the magnificent achievement of getting a paper plane to glide back from space.

7 Likes

qX2Gsmf0J87K

6 Likes

lester_vulture

10 Likes

Nobody sits like this rock sits. You rock, rock. The rock just sits and is.

6 Likes

Lester Haines; not just paper planes.

6 Likes

Britain. Not just England.

You wouldn’t want us reporting USainian news as being done by the Californian government.

8 Likes

And Rockall has never been part of England. If Britain has a valid claim then it’s part of Scotland

13 Likes

Though we’re thrown out of Malta,
Though Spain should take Gibraltar,
Why should we flinch or falter?
When England’s got Rockall!

3 Likes

Gang of Four sung about this in 1979!
Ether

3 Likes

I remember tech news site TheRegister always seemed to be mildly obsessed with Rockall

2 Likes

I live in North Utsire and if you know how “Utsira” is actually pronounced in Norwegian, it does make you wince.

That said, I am a fan of the shipping forecast (I’ve actually just read a book about it)

1 Like