The Cure's first ever television performance from 1979 is killer

Saw them 5 years ago at a festival in France: One of the best concert I’ve ever seen. Such a great voice, the sound was perfect.

1 Like

Bonus: “Take On Me” effect at 4:12

8 Likes

Yes please :heart_eyes:

Wow that would have been amazing! They really shine in live performances,came out for 2 encores last time I saw them, they love their fans and it really shows. They even play that obscure stuff you’d never think to hear in a million years.

2 Likes

I also like this version:

As to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame… call me when these guys get in:

4 Likes

Skinny Fat Bob! And it’[s a bit uptempo, which is good.
I still prefer Carpathian Forest’s version, but that’s because I’m a regressive black metal arsehole.

3 Likes

I never liked The Cure. They were just somehting to tollerate when it was the girlfriend’s turn to pick a tape, but still I respect their importance in the scheme of things so to see this TV performance as historical record is a Wonderful Thing.

As for which band or show was the loudest, all I can say is my current hearing loss is probably very much related to too much inadvertent research into that subject as a youth.

You earned a like just for that!

2 Likes

I went to one show with earplugs but when it came time to put them in one was missing. After the show, the difference between ears was incredible. One ear was fine, the other was a mile underwater.

(It was George Thorogood and the Destroyers at some venue on West Peachtree. His career was past its peak and it was general admission, meaning we could get close to the stage … too close not to have earplugs.)

3 Likes

I saw The Ramones in 1980 at UCSD’s “Backdoor”.
That was by far the loudest thing anywhere on earth, ever.

The “club” was a windowless concrete box, roughly 100 by 300 feet in size, below ground-level in a brutalist commons building.

4 Likes

I told this very same opinion of The Cure to my teen children, just a week or so back. Hahaha!

1 Like

Count your blessings that you dont share the other thing I described despite that Ramones show.

OH! I almost forgot the Ramones! I saw them on their last tour and that was loud, too. But it was outside, so that helped. I was also much younger!

2 Likes

Creaming Jesus’ version was popular when I was a lad:

The loudest band I was ever exposed to was My Bloody Valentine, with Sunn O))) coming a close second.

2 Likes

I have miraculously maintained good hearing, despite terrible behavior.

1 Like

Count your lucky stars. If I dont have my hearing aids in, I can no longer make out what my wife is saying across the room if she isnt facing me.

1 Like

I was fine until I think I got an untreated ear infection or sinus infection. Now one ear rings and has some hearing loss. the other is okay.

That really sucks. Have you thought about a long term solution like those implants or do the hearing aids work well enough for you? My mom is the same way (but hers isn’t from her former rock and roll lifestyle).

1 Like

Cochlear implants are only effective in the case of internal damage. What I have is good old fashioned hearing loss for reasons of genetics (males on my mothers side lose hearing early) and far too much exposure to high sound pressure levels.

Regular hearing impairment is due to loss of hairs that line the inner ear. Unlike with other mammals, in humans these do not grow back once damaged. There is no long term solution and hearing aids are not a total solution either.

The simplest way to understand hearing aids is they are a mic and a speaker which is tuned to amplify certain frequency ranges that are customized to the users impairment pattern. In “normal” situations they assist by boosting frequency patterns but there are situations where I still cant make out what is being said to me:

• people who just talk too quietly or mumble
  • conference calls with ruffling papers, typing sounds or other things that mask parts of what is said
  • complex sound environments where voices are masked by other voices or room sounds (what is known as the cocktail party effect)

Knowing that I will have a hard time functioning in some conditions almost makes me want to avoid them in the first place but that would mean isolation and being unable to function in the workplace.

It does almost no good to ask people to speak up. Since they dont see the problem as they would with someone who is seriously visually or mobility impaired, they either assume it doesnt really exist or they forget almost immediately. I’m certainly not going to constantly remind people either.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.