The curious case of the sweaty nipples

Why does the author start using the royal we half way through the piece? What does that reveal about the ego of the author?

Called a consultant, maybe?

Bruised because of having to call a consultant?

3 Likes

While having the occasional headache is probably an emergent feature of being human, if youā€™re having them regularly and ordinary painkillers donā€™t affect them, Iā€™d say youā€™re suffering from something different than the ordinary headaches most of us get. I am not a doctor, but I think you should see one, seriously.

2 Likes

ā€œLet me explain. Join me, for a day in the life of a neurologist.
Itā€™s 8:15 A.M. and we open our first chart.ā€

The author is including the audience along on the journeyā€¦standard literary device.

7 Likes

Rubber nipples? Well sir, I donā€™t like it. I donā€™t like it one bit.

1 Like

Letā€™'s see, Iā€™ve talked to ā€¦ 9 doctors ā€¦ about either my sensory issues or my headaches. Iā€™m not sure what to do now.

I read ā€œfalling downā€ and immediately thought brain tumour. Go hypochondria!

4 Likes

The only time I get a headache that lasts longer than 30s or so is with a hangover, or occasionally if Iā€™m ill. I did have a migraine once when I was a kid, but that went away after about an hour. So, not no headaches ever, but I seem to suffer less form them than most people I know.

Perhaps you should speak to the author of this post, Dr Block.

Headaches? If nothing works, a scan of the vascular system my be in order checking for potential aneurysms and such. My GF had such a problem, but they also very nearly killed her in the catheterization.

Clearly Iā€™m the puerile member of todayā€™s discussion board, but Iā€™d like to share with you what was literally the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title.

Whoops

1 Like

I really enjoyed reading this. I had him pegged with narcolepsy with cataplexy early on, but the tumour I was not expecting. Putting the pieces together to provide a coherent whole is why I trained to be a psychologist. Sometimes itā€™s easy, sometimes itā€™s really hard, sometimes there is no answer.

Sounds quite like a diagnostics of a misbehaving process plant.
Everything is engineering, in some form.

1 Like

One of my psychologist colleagues has described himself as a brain engineer, so you could be right there. However, one of my PhD supervisors was a bioengineer and he didnā€™t seem to understand the concept that generally we canā€™t make accurate predictions about complex human behaviour (in this case driving a car safely) because there are so many variables both internal and external to the individual that influence behaviour. He just keep looking for the test or tests we were missing that would make our model an excellent predictor sigh.

2 Likes

may be hypercalsima i asleep like that when i get hypercalcemic

Any system with sufficiently complex behavior, even with very few variables, can become chaotic, and therefore rather difficult to predict.

Of course, our education system is stressing the analytical, predictive, simple cases in physics, instead of the messy, feedbacked, chaos-prone real-world systems. So no wonder that too many people end up with preconception that the world is simpler than it is.

Schools from elementary level up should teach the principles of chaos and self-organization.

1 Like

Excess calcium or excess potassium?

And there will always be Schwaydy ballsā€¦

wow! I agree with everyone else, this would be very cool to read as a series. Kudos to you Dr. Block!