The curious case of the sweaty nipples

But you can sing “sweaty-nippled sleepy teen” to the chorus of “Daydream Believer”. Ha! Get that one out of your head now! Sweaty-nippled sleepy teen, oh what can it mean…?

1 Like

MRI of your head, if you haven’t had one. Also of your spinal column if your insurance will cover it (probably not). If nothing shows up, then try ponstel, especially if your headaches are lunar cyclical. If no dice, you can try midrin, or sumatriptan, but you must have a heart test before you can take the latter. If you do end up trying sumatriptan, use low-dose pills (I use 25mg) so you can vary your dosage as required which will minimize rebounds.

All the medications mentioned above are hard on your liver. If you eat healthy and don’t drink heavily that should not be a problem (unless you already have liver issues).

Make sure to remove any metal objects from your head (such as earrings) well before the MRI. Don’t count on the technicians to notice and remind you. If you have any reason to suspect you might have any metal dust or fragments in your eyes or you do any work that may create metal dust or slivers (like for example sheet metal work) you need an eye X-ray before the MRI.

Incidentally, are you familiar with the Valsalva maneuver? If you do it while laying down, it’s supposed to stimulate the vagus nerve, which in turn is supposed to modify your brain chemistry, typically making you calmer and helping with some kinds of headache. If you notice any changes in your symptoms while doing this, it should be discussed with your neurologist.

Kind of a brain dump. I hope you find something helpful in it! I am not a doctor, but I do get fairly nasty headaches occasionally. The only things that work on mine are sumatriptan (if taken early enough) and the really major narcotics (which are harder to get all the time, and I don’t like addictions so I prefer the sumatriptan). Ponstel used to work on me, but I eventually developed an immunity to it.

5 Likes

Had the brain mri, which ruled out multiple sclerosis and brain tumors, and doubly-ruled-out Lyme. Didn’t know headaches could be lunar-cyclical, I’d have to check my calendar, though my last two nightmare headaches with bilateral migraine-type characteristics were saturday the 17th, and before that the 19th. Do have stomach issues which make me throw some meds, and allergies which make me develop asthma or hives after other meds.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.