The decline of the wallet: states roll out digital IDs

Originally published at: The decline of the wallet: states roll out digital IDs | Boing Boing

1 Like

I have a image on my phone of all the pertinent items one needs to navigate our dystopian wonder of a world. That’ll have to do, or tuff shit. Wish me luck!

9 Likes

While digital wallets have some clear privacy downsides (even if the system is set up to not require your phone to be taken by an officer, it is much easier to for them to insist that they “need” to have it preventing easy recording of the event), it also has a few upsides.

The ID is only accessible while the phone is locked, and it tells the owner what information the reader wants and you can accept or reject. So you don’t need to tell the guy at the liquor store where you live and what your name is, just your birthday.

Personally I think it is upside except for dealing with cops, so when it is available where I am I plan on carrying a traditional license for dealing with cops & use the phone for buying booze.

5 Likes

I just want a dumb i.d. so I can drive my dumb car to the store to buy a dumb television.

35 Likes

FYI Apple’s digital driver’s license only accepts read requests when the phone is locked. The reader requests info, the phone if unlocked rejects. If locked it tells the “user” what info is requested and verifies bioinformatics (FaceID or TouchID currently), and allows the user to accept or reject the request.

3 Likes

Yeah–I clicked through to the article and saw that, which is why I deleted the comment.

2 Likes

Two conservative states that rage on about vaccines containing tracking devices, are implementing ID’s on a phone that can be tracked.

8 Likes

Yup- I had to do that in order to make the process of transferring a car title easier, as opposed to finding time to get me and the seller and a notary in the same room to do it the old fashioned way.

My state is weird.

1 Like

the Apple that stores user data in Chinese government servers, no to Apple spyphone

1 Like

They’re great in natural emergencies too.

Which clearly never happen anymore.

5 Likes

Ira Levin nailed ‘Wrist ID braclets’ in the 1960’s publishing “This Perfect Day” 1970.

“Everyone wears a permanent identifying bracelet that interfaces with access points, which act as scanners. Uni uses them to tell “Family members” where they are allowed to go and what they are allowed to do.”

2 Likes

Ugh, the last thing you want your data secured with is biometric information. Just say no.

If any of this requires a specific app then that’s a giant red flag too.

1 Like

Cool, I’ll never use it then. I mean my phone sleeps, but I have no locks on it. I also have no digital wallet, passwords, or anything else of any importance on it. If you care to look at my browser history or random photos of people you don’t know, go for it. Passcodes and biometric access are a waste of time for the way I use my phone.

This just seems like one step closer to chipping people.

1 Like

Gawd I wish apple would stick to what their good at, scanning my photos for cp. I’ll keep my digital ID where it belongs, in my 5g vaccines. Thank you very much and good day!

1 Like

Won’t get served alcohol because I forgot to charge my ID.

3 Likes

How long before they use them for voter ID?

4 Likes

Until it gets expensive enough so that impoverished people can’t buy iPhones. It’s true on third world countries already.

1 Like

They’ll use Freedom Phones. What could go wrong?

4 Likes

Don’t hand your phone to the police.

3 Likes

3 Likes