The democratization of censorship: when anyone can kill as site as effectively as a government can

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/25/the-democratization-of-censors.html

6 Likes

25 Likes

I think what you meant to say is:
The democratization of censorship: when anyone can kill a site as effectively as a government can

5 Likes

Came here for the same pedantism you did.

4 Likes

On the eve of the Stuxnet attacks, half a decade ago, I found myself discussing what it all meant with William Gibson (I’d just interviewed him on stage in London), and I said, “I think the most…”

This lead paragraph is just full of self-importance. Half a decade ago? Name dropping? Talking up that you were onstage? Then quoting yourself, not the person you just name dropped?

6 Likes

Welcome to BB.
If William Gibson had said it, then perhaps it’d be he that’s quoted.

5 Likes

Isn’t sending words you uttered one time to be read another time an example of self-exportance, since you are exporting your words?

8 Likes

Not pedantry, just reporting a typo or two.

Some of my comments here don’t make sense either, until I reread them and correct them.

1 Like

My mistake. I’m projecting, being a complete and utter pedant myself.

3 Likes

Krebs’s site seems to be down again.

If the average person can take down a site, then the internet will cease to exist.

I suspect the security to prevent that will evolve along with the weapons. Something anyone can use should also be easy for anyone to counter.

1 Like

Not a reliable method.

Someone with really vile viewpoints, who gets condemned for those viewpoints, could take the condemnation as confirmation… (I wrote up an example involving a hypothetical neo-Nazi, but I deleted it to avoid triggering anyone else.)

2 Likes

Propagation seems to be a bit slow. I tried and failed once, only to try again a minute later and succeed.

1 Like

Maybe a DNS issue? I’ve had no problems hitting the site today.

I just checked 2sec ago and it was fine.

Pedantry, please!

2 Likes

One problem is the technology. Conventional websites, even with content distribution networks, are vulnerable to these attacks. Not all technology is. A truly distributed network may be in better positioned to handle an attack like this. If the content exists everywhere it’s a lot hard to attack.

2 Likes

Hypothetically speaking.

I’d ask for twice my money back. Also, welcome, new community member.

2 Likes

Pedantry, pedanticism, or pedantism.

1 Like